Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
How to File Rename this...
timpPostMarch 22, 2014, 08:26
Advanced
March 16, 2014, 13:32
Normal topicHow to File Rename this...

Hi Yate Guys -

I'm trying to get better at making my own Rename conditions, but I could use some help.

Let's say you open a folder with MP3's that look like the image attached. The files are all neatly labeled, except that I don't like the beginning of the Title having the format of "YY-MM-DD.-.[Name]". It looks funny, especially when it's converted to the File Name (as you can see by the attached screenshot).

My ideal scenario would be to rename the file like this:
[Name].(MM-DD-YY)

For example:
Existing file name: "46-09-03 - The Fix-It Shop"
Desired file name: "The Fix-It Shop (09-03-46)"

I'm sure that there are file renaming programs that could do this for me, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Yate has the ability to do it but I just don't know how.

Hopefully you can point me toward a solution so I can learn how to do this kind of advanced tagging on my own and stop bothering you. 🙂

Thanks as always for your unbelievably great software and support!

2MR2PostMarch 22, 2014, 10:13
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: How to File Rename this...

The rename functionality has no ability to segment a field that it is inserting, so the process will require an action and rename template.

Let me ask a couple of questions first.

Given existing names:
filename: 11-46-11-12 Lodge Invitation.mp3
title: 46-11-12 Lodge Invitation

do you want the filename to be:
11-Lodge Invitation (11-12-46).mp3
or
Lodge Invitation (11-12-46).mp3

The above question doesn't affect the action only the rename template.

do you want the Title to remain unchanged or be replaced with:
Lodge Invitation (11-12-46)

Let me know and I'll post a sample action which you can use as a template for future manipulations like this. I already have an action that does something similar. I download concerts from Concert Vault and the titles and filenames are typically:
Concert Name M/D/YYYY {optional text}
and I prefer:
Concert Name {optional text} YYYY-MM-DD

BTW: I love Mel Blanc. I was watching some newer Looney Tunes episodes with very young family members recently and it isn't the same without Mel 🙁

2MR2PostMarch 22, 2014, 12:06
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I had a few minutes so I knocked off a sample:

Download:

http://2manyrobots.com/actions/timp-rename-1.zip

Unzip the file and import timp-rename-1.plist into Yate. (Yate>Import Preferences)

You will have a one new action and one new rename template. They will both be named: timp-rename-1

As it stands, the action and template will not update the Title field and will not prefix the filename with a track number. Comments in the action describe how to change it if you want to modify Title and how to change the rename template.

The supplied action assumes an exact number of characters at the start of the Title field:

YY-MM-DD{space}-{space}title text

If my aging eyes didn't correctly see what was in your screenshot, you'll have to modify the action to reflect the correct spacing. 🙂

I'm saving and restoring all modified variables, which is overkill if you never call the action from another.

Have fun.

If anyone out there wants a quick peek at the action without having to download it....I've attached an image. You cannot see the entire Comment text in the image as you have to click on a Comment to see text in lines other than the first.

timpPostMarch 24, 2014, 03:50
Advanced

Thanks so much! If anyone doesn't think that Yate is the best tagger ever, I dare you to get the developers of your favorite program to do something like this for you 🙂

I am deep in the middle of tagging another folder tonight, but I'll try this in the next day or two. I can somewhat see the logic in how you built this. I think I may actually be able to do it myself... maybe. At least there's an Undo button working in my favor. Ha!

And I totally agree that Mel Blanc was the best! I can't listen to Bugs Bunny or Daffy Duck without cringing. (Same thing with Jim Henson and Kermit.) Since these radio shows are all part of the common domain, let me know if you want them and I'll send 'em your way.

Happy Wabbit Hunting!

timpPostMarch 24, 2014, 22:12
Advanced

Wow, you did it! I enabled the command to copy the changes to the Title field, selected all files, ran the Action, then ran a Rename: "Trackpad01-Title" and it appended the track number to the File Name. Perfection!!!

I only wish it didn't take the kind of programming knowledge that you obviously have, in order for us laymen to do it. I realize that my request is WAY beyond the needs of a typical tagger though, so creating a dummy-proof interface for creating such an advanced action is most likely out of the question. In fact, I wouldn't want you to work on such a thing at the expense of other, more commonly needed features.

But nonetheless, I really appreciate the assist!

Oh, and I'm about to throw another tricky one at you, just to see if you're up to the challenge. Look for my next post, titled "Import from Spreadsheet". I'm going to stump you one of these days!! 🙂

Be vewy vewy qwiet...
Tim

P.S. I'm starting to think I owe you WAY more than the $20 license fee...

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.01 seconds.