Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Download Lyrics
slopePostMay 17, 2014, 17:09
May 17, 2014, 20:43
Normal topicDownload Lyrics

I am a recent Windows convert, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

On the Windows side, I used to use a program called MP3Tag. The don't make a mac version, so I'm on the hunt for an MP3 tagger that will work well on my macbook. Anyway, Yate was recommended in some other forums I was on. I'm using the 14 day trial currently to see if it will fit my needs. I'm having trouble figuring out how to get Yate to download lyrics for the song. I thought from the description that this was possible. I see where I can add lyrics, but is there a way to get it to download from a lyrics site?

Thanks in advance.

2MR2PostMay 17, 2014, 17:18
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Download Lyrics

Hi, not a dumb question at all.

Yate does not currently support the automatic downloading of lyrics. This is basically due to the fact that we can't find any sites that either: offer more than a tiny snippet; actually have a decent amount of content or have a usable API. Even screen scraping is not a valid solution as the labels seem completely protective over their copyrighted lyrics and there doesn't seem to be a site where we wouldn't be breaking their terms of use by grabbing the lyrics. 🙁

If anybody has any suggestions where we can legally get at lyrics we'll be happy to look at the implementation.

slopePostMay 18, 2014, 13:22

I on the PC side, inside of MP3Tag, I use a script for LyricWiki. It doesn't have everything, but it has most. You would want to write a parser to look for the copy written ones. They provide the first line or two, then the disclaimer that they are not allow to release the lyrics. I'd rather have nothing to be honest. What would be really cool if you could insert your own text (in all mine that are copy written I put "Not Available". That way, I know I didn't forget to get them, they just aren't out there anywhere. It had the vast majority of my collection anyways.

I loaded the script so you could take a look. If you could implement in Yate, so they could be retrieved in batch that would be incredible!

Thanks.

2MR2PostMay 18, 2014, 13:48
Administrator

I've seen and looked at LyricWiki. It is really simple to implement but their documentation states that they never return more than a snippet and I though that this would not be of interest to people.

From their documentation:

Please note that currently, the API only returns a small portion of the lyrics (about 1/7th of them). This is because of the licensing restrictions ... The small snippet (which is considered Fair Use) is just to help in identifying that the API matched the correct song you're looking for. Once you have the right match, you can link the user to the corresponding page (there is a URL provided in the result) or open that page inside your app in a browser-panel with javascript enabled.

I could easily put an action function in that would attempt to do a retrieval. I could have the function set the action test state so that you could test for results and insert whatever you wish if there were none. I could also easily retain the URL to the full lyrics and optionally open the URL in a browser window if you are not batch processing.

I've also sent a few requests out to ChartLyrics for permission to use their API but they have not responded. 🙁

I'm deep in v3 development at this point but I will add it to the list. Who knows, if I need a break it may come earlier 🙂

slopePostMay 18, 2014, 22:31

Interesting. That is true for the results that ultimately are restricted (AC/DC lyrics, etc.). Many work fine (Hootie and the Blowfish, Huey Lewis, etc.) and return the full lyric set.

2MR2PostMay 18, 2014, 23:01
Administrator

Is it possible that you got those lyrics a while ago? I just tried 'Hootie and the Blowfish - Hold My Hand' and 'Huey Lewis - But It's Alright' and they both return cropped. I am reading the results returned by the API....not by screen scraping the URL returned by the API. Both of these songs have the full lyrics on the LyricWiki site ... which I can display in a browser.

2MR2PostMay 18, 2014, 23:18
Administrator

From the LyricWiki site:

Currently, we are only allowed to display the lyrics to songs on the wikia.com domain and cannot re-license full lyrics to other projects. This is why the API is no longer in its old form which could return full lyrics. The API's primary function currently is to assist in matching the various formats of artist names and song titles to the exact LyricWiki page for the lyrics.

"Screen-scraping" the HTML of the song pages to just display the lyrics is not a licensed use of the site. If you are screen-scraping we highly recommend that you seek out a source of licensing on your own (sorry, we are not approved to sell this) to avoid legal problems.

Your alternatives which still use LyricWiki are to either just link to the page (the link is provided via the API) or to display the entire page with javascript enabled, as described in the 3rd Party Apps section of this page.

I have a test implementation which: optionally saves the partial lyrics; saves the URL to the full lyrics; saves the takedown status and optionally opens the URL to the full lyrics in a browser. The results of the search can be evaluated as follows:

0 no match found
1 match found full lyrics available at URL
2 match found but takedown issued so no full lyrics at URL

The final implementation will support batch processing as well. The metadata will be accumulated but no URLs will be issued.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.