Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Multiple Artists for FLAC
hoeniPostJune 7, 2014, 03:29
April 30, 2014, 07:38
Normal topicMultiple Artists for FLAC

Hi,

I'm organizing my music collection mainly with Asset UPnP (http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm) in mind as a target.
As far as I understood by searching their forum it should be able to handle multiple artists by including multiple artist tags inside the FLAC files.

Is there a way I can handle this with Yate?

Hoeni

2MR2PostJune 7, 2014, 06:50
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Multiple Artists for FLAC

The easiest way is to use the advanced editor. Click on the disclosure triangle (▶︎) to the right of the artist field. In the edit area at the bottom of the display, enter your artist names one per line:

artist 1
artist 2
artist 3
etc.

After you hit done you will see the artist displayed as: artist 1;;;artist 2;;;artist 3

If you wish you can always directly edit the Artist field on the Info panel and enter the names separated by ;;; sequences.

If the other application is correctly handling multiple items for the same value you should be able to see all your artist names.

hoeniPostJune 7, 2014, 12:34
April 30, 2014, 07:38

Ahhhhhhhh, that's why I found ;;; inside some of the FLACs I looked through.

Works like a charm, thank you so much!

HumanMediaPostFebruary 17, 2015, 17:53
February 17, 2015, 22:38

Is there any way of having multiple artist and album artist tags? Without using delimiter characters within a single tag? Or am I missing something? (likely)
Also why is the Artist and Album artist a drop down menu? Ive never been able to figure it out, its always blank.
And what is the "Advanced Editor" I can't find anything labelled that, nor a right pointing arrow to the right of the artist field

Any tips?

2MR2PostFebruary 17, 2015, 18:11
Administrator

When you have artist (etc.) fields with multiple values separated by the multi value delimiter (default ;;;) the values get written to the files as separate items. So in a FLAC file you will have multiple ARTIST comments for an artist field of 'ABC;;;DEF'.
ARTIST=ABC
ARTIST=DEF

The Artist and some other fields are drop down menus because you can populate the menus with your artists. You can auto fill when adding items or use action statements to populate (batch as well). Look at Preferences - Artists, Composers, Genres.

The Advanced Editor since v3.0 is available by clicking on the coloured button to the left of a field and selecting 'Choose Value'. When you do this for multiple value fields such as Artist, you can enter the items one per line.

For example an Artist field of ABC;;;DEF will appear as:
ABC
DEF

HumanMediaPostFebruary 17, 2015, 22:21

Huge thanks for this info

HumanMediaPostApril 17, 2015, 20:25

Just discovered that either Yate or my music server doesn't recognize multiple artist tags on DSF files. Does Yate support multiple artist (composer etc) tags on DSF? If not can it be added?

2MR2PostApril 17, 2015, 23:28
Administrator

Metadata is written to DSF files encoded into a standard ID3 structure. ID3V2.4 which is Yate's default format for writing ID3 tags supports multiple values on almost all single line text tags such as Artist, Album Artist, Composer, etc.

Multiple values are encoded in the audio files separated by binary zeros. Yate encodes/decodes the values when writing or reading them. On a single line display, multiple values are entered separated by the multi value delimiter (;;; by default) as found on the Preferences-Audio panel. When editing these fields via the Choose Value function available on a field's leading coloured button, you can enter the values one per line.

Sorry for the long winded answer....the short answer is that Yate already supports multiple values 🙂

Unfortunately, it would not be all that uncommon for your server not to support multiple values.

HumanMediaPostApril 18, 2015, 19:40

i know Yate support multiple tags on FLAC and my server displays them correctly, but the server displays multiple tags on DSF as a single tag "artist1;;;artist2"
i thought the ;;; was stripped out when it was saved and replaced with multiple tags (separated by binary zeros as per your reply?)
Could it be that this process does not create multiple tags on DSF? (bug?)
Or is it just the server mishandling DSF with multiple tags? and coincidentally displaying them with the ;;; delimiter?
Something definitely isn't right here. most likely the server, but maybe a bug with Yate not creating multiple tags on save for DSF?

2MR2PostApril 18, 2015, 22:07
Administrator

Thanks for the additional information. If your server is displaying the ;;; sequence I'm 100% sure the issue is not the server. Please check Preferences - Audio and make sure that "Write ID3v2.3" is NOT checked for dsf files. The ID3v2.4 specification supports multiple values while earlier versions do not. With ID3v2.3 , Yate keeps the ";;;" sequence. I've verified that with v2.4 formatted dsf files, the multiple sequences are written correctly.

You can force the re-saving of the files without making changes by a one line action with a Save statement with the "Save Always' option selected. Please try it with your server before changing too many files as even thought the ID3v2.4 spec was published in 2003, it is still not supported by many applications. (mostly Windows based applications). If your server is correctly handling multiple values with FLAC files, it will more than likely handle multiple values in ID3v2.4 files.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.