Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Unable to rename Titles
lamottaPostAugust 21, 2014, 13:32
August 21, 2014, 17:07
Normal topicUnable to rename Titles

Hello,
First of all, I'm new here and I'm not sure if this issue has been discussed in other threads.

I'm trying to change the Title of many songs, changing them from, let's say, "01 - Welcome to my Nightmare" to just "Welcome to my Nightmare". In order to do so, I created an action: "Remove 5 characters at index 0 from the beginning in field Title". But:

1. Firstly, it didn't work. When trying it, it doesn't let me Save it. I tried to write something in the "then insert" box, but then the Action would delete the whole title and replace it with whatever I wrote in the "then insert" box.

2. Secondly, I managed to rename same titles, but not all. I've been thinking why this can be:

a) I have most of the music in an external hard drive (but it worked sometimes with music from it also)
b) Some of the songs have a "#", a green check mark or nothing at all in the iTunes sorting field. Does this make any difference? I don't understand what that means.

3. I have also tried through the Editor, but it doesn't work either.

Any clues?

Thank you in advance, and thanks to the developer for this awesome tool!

2MR2PostAugust 21, 2014, 13:54
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Unable to rename Titles

Hi there,

The issue has nothing to do with the iTunes field. The green checkmark means linked to iTunes with all iTunes database only metadata matching. If you have a # it means that you're linked but the play counts differ. You can find help on these indicators in the help topic named: "Linking and Adding Files to iTunes".

The issue also has nothing to do with an external hard drive.

Are you attempting to rename the files, the title field or both?

The action should be able to be saved as long as you have selected a field in the first popup button in the Remove/Insert function. Actions can only be saved when the function you are working on is 'valid'. You do not have to have anything in the Insert field as long as you specify a Remove count.

If you are just trying to modify the Title fields (not rename the files) you can use the Multi Field Editor or do it in an action. As a sanity check I've just tried both and they seems to work fine 🙂

Try this first. Load a few of files where you want to remove the first five characters from the title field. You will notice that the change status in the first column is green. Select the loaded files. Open the Multi Field Editor and select the Title field; specify a 5 in the Remove/Insert box for Remove. Then hit the Remove/Insert button. The change indicators should now be red. If you check the Title field of each individual file you should see that the first 5 characters were removed. The files have not been saved. You have to do a File>Save in order to save the files. (or command-S or a save toolbar or Save from the context menu).

I hope this helps.

lamottaPostAugust 22, 2014, 07:28

So, I guess we're moving forward towards a solution, hehe. The title sorting field is empty, so no matter what I want to change, it doesn't do anything. Here's a caption.
And here, a caption from iTunes, for you to see the titles there:

lamottaPostAugust 22, 2014, 07:52

Also: if I try to renumber the tracks, or to add something to the title, I can. If, for example, I delete 5 characters and add the letter A, the only thing it does is renaming all songs as "A". Hope you understand me 🙂
Thamk you again

2MR2PostAugust 22, 2014, 08:02
Administrator

From the screen shots I can see that there is metadata in iTunes which has not been written to the files. I'm assuming that since the Title is missing, other metadata fields are missing as well. As a start you can simply load the metadata from iTunes into the linked files. Do the following:
- Select the files as in your screenshot while linked to iTunes.
- From the Actions or context menu do an 'Import Base Settings from iTunes'
The above steps will copy the metadata from the iTunes database into the tracks (where it should have been).

You should now have Title, Tracks and various other fields from iTunes. If everything looks good, do a File>Save. If something is not as you'd like we can do a File-To_tag and extract the Track and Title from the filename.

If the Title fields now contain the text that you would like to be the 'name of the file' simply do a File>Rename - Title.
That will rename the files to the contents of the Title field...telling iTunes that the track locations have changed.

This should get you going 🙂

lamottaPostAugust 22, 2014, 08:05

YEEEES thank you soooo much!

lamottaPostAugust 22, 2014, 08:07

Only as a side question (and there's no need of answering it), why do some songs have their metadata copied and some others don't?

2MR2PostAugust 22, 2014, 10:15
Administrator

Only tracks that are linked to iTunes will have their metadata copied. Right click on the table's column header and enable the display of the iTunes column. (I can't tell from your screenshot if it is on or not).

The only way to link tracks which have no title field is to drag them from iTunes. If you drag one track from iTunes and Yate is in Album mode, all tracks in the same folder will be opened but only the one dragged track will be linked. To get around the problem drag all tracks from an album over.

You should see a green check mark in the iTunes column next to every track. If you then do an 'Import Base Settings from iTunes' it should fill all the tracks.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.