Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Can Yate help with my iTunes Match problem?
DaleStrumpellPostAugust 23, 2014, 19:30
August 23, 2014, 23:20
Normal topicCan Yate help with my iTunes Match problem?

There are many albums in my library that iTunes Match initially detected and matched but now cannot find the local files. This is confirmed in the info panel for a song showing its location as iCloud rather than the local file. I can find no function in iTunes to reestablish a connection with the local file. Is there any function in Yate which can assist me in fixing this problem?

thank you

2MR2PostAugust 23, 2014, 20:49
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Can Yate help with my iTunes Match problem?

Yate automatically resets track locations in iTunes when it links to a file and sees that iTunes has it in the wrong location. This works for incorrect local paths and can happen when files are moved outside of iTunes.

I've never tried it with iTunes Match and an iCloud location but I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you can locate one iCloud album in your collection you can try it as follows:

- drag the located album into Yate from the Finder
- select the files and do a Link to iTunes
- if the files link okay you can then do a Show in iTunes from the context menu on a single track
- Do a Get Info on the displayed track in iTunes. The summary panel should show the local location

If this works and Yate successfully fixes the location field in iTunes (when initially in iCloud) then there is an easy solution:

- write a simple one line action which Links to iTunes
- run the Batch Processor with the created action and drag in the root of your collection from the Finder
(This assumes that your entire collection is in iTunes)
- go have a coffee (or sleep if your collection is large) 🙂

This will basically do the same thing that you tried in the UI.

You can validate the Batch Process by trying it first by dragging in a single folder as opposed to the root folder.

Let me know if this helps.

DaleStrumpellPostAugust 23, 2014, 23:30

Thank you for your speedy reply. However...

-I used the Open command in Yate to bring up an album
-Selected all tracks
-Clicked Link to iTunes
-Received this error message:
iTunes Link Error
Cannot resolve file <path> by metadata while attempting to link to iTunes.

The error message didn't literally say <path>, I'm just using it as an abbreviation.

2MR2PostAugust 24, 2014, 09:51
Administrator

Unfortunately that means that when iTunes 'matched' the data it put its 'cloud' based values into the database. These values probably differ from those stored in the file making it unable to find a match. Others have lost their metadata this way. Yate can fix the track locations but only if it can do a metadata only match of the tracks.

Now that I think about it, iTunes quite often forgets to update internal values. One example is when a track externally changes its location, iTunes detects the change but still reports the old location when dragging the tracks. Try dragging an 'iCloud' track from iTunes into Yates's main window. If by some miracle they were too lazy to clean out the old local location the drag should work. If it works, the track you dragged should have a 'green check' in the iTunes column. If it worked doing a 'Refresh iTunes' from Yate's context menu (with the track selected) should update the location in iTunes. In this scenario you'll have to drag all the iCloud tracks from iTunes to Yate and manually do a refresh. (Set Yate's Open Mode to Playlist so that only the dragged tracks are opened).

If it doesn't work, because the location reported to Yate is bogus or if they don't allow you to drag the track out, the only solution may be to rebuild the database. 🙁

2MR2PostAugust 24, 2014, 10:38
Administrator

Some more thoughts: The drag from iTunes opening in Yate is the best case scenario. It is possible that Yate will not update the iTunes location on a refresh because it has not been changed. If the drag to open works let me know. It's easy to force the location change if we can get past the first hurdle.

DaleStrumpellPostAugust 24, 2014, 11:34

Thanks for your suggestions. Alas, the iCloud tracks cannot be dragged into Yate's main window.

2MR2PostAugust 24, 2014, 12:03
Administrator

Sorry to hear that.

I'm at the point where I have to rebuild my iTunes library at least once a month. I've got about 40k tracks in the database and after a while it takes about 5 minutes to add a new file. Rebuilding seems to fix the issue for a short time.

Sorry it didn't work out.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.