Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
[Discogs] Artist Alias Wrong
PowderPostSeptember 24, 2014, 05:34
Pro
March 4, 2013, 18:53
Normal topic[Discogs] Artist Alias Wrong

Hi,
I noticed that the artist name is sometimes wrong, when the release was released under an alias, then Yate stores the wrong alias, here is an example: Cosmin TRG – Repetitiv: http://www.discogs.com/Cosmin-TRG-Repetitiv/release/5823744

Cosmin TRG is an alias of TRG, but the correct artist name for the EP. Yate stores the artist name TRG here. I wonder if there is a way to get the correct artist name? If there is no way to get the correct artist name from the API request, I will make a support request in the Discogs forum.

PowderPostSeptember 24, 2014, 05:47
Pro
Normal topicRe: [Discogs] Artist Alias Wrong

Besides that it would be wonderful to have access to the main alias for scripting, so e.g. by tagging a release from AFX (Alias of Aphex Twin), I could create a symlink to an Aphex Twin directory like this:

Artist/Aphex Twin/Aphex_Twin-2001-Drukqs
Artist/Aphex Twin/Aphex_Twin-2014-Syro
Artist/Aphex Twin/_Aliases_and_Variations/AFX/AFX-1993-Analogue_Bubblebath_Vol._3

I just noticed that on Discogs there is a difference between Alias and Variation, maybe because of that, the files are tagged wrong.

2MR2PostSeptember 24, 2014, 07:38
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The Alias-Artist issue was implemented this way because I had multiple requests to opt for the alias name which sometimes is easier to read for some users (ie. artist name is non Latin language). I'll have to check my notes.

There is always room for an option to specify which you'd prefer. When I'm back at my Mac I'll take a look at the code and the Discogs data.

I'll get back to you with more information.

2MR2PostSeptember 24, 2014, 07:44
Administrator

The alias name appears in the data stream if the data was entered correctly. Storing the name when available is no problem.

The issue is that there can be an alias' for every artist name. ie/ multiple alias' for a single release.

Perhaps storing the alias' as: Discogs_Alias_for_this artist=alias name makes sense. This would be a UDTI which could then be moved to any other field. I tend to like this approach because given the 'artist name' you could construct the UDTI name and check for existence.

I'll look into this as part of the previous 'alias post' and will get back to you at the same time.

PowderPostSeptember 24, 2014, 08:18
Pro

There is always room for an option to specify which you'd prefer.

That would be great!

About Discogs_Alias_for_this artist, what about this:

Example 1: AFX (Alias of Aphex Twin):
artist = "AFX";
Discogs_Artist = "AFX"
Discogs_Artist_Most_Famous_Alias = "Aphex Twin"

Example 2: Doms & Deykers (Doms alias of Steffie Doms, Deykers alias of Martijn Deykers):
artist = "Doms & Deykers"
Discogs_Artist = "Doms, Deykers"
Discogs_Artist_Most_Famous_Alias = "Steffie Doms, Martijn Deykers"

Not sure how you handle arrays, but would be great to have the possibility to loop over each alias then: [Steffie Doms, Martijn Deykers].

So actually there is another request, to have the possibility to iterate over artists in general [Doms, Deykers], like in the example release above – http://www.discogs.com/Doms-Deykers-Fonts-For-The-People/release/6021864

2MR2PostSeptember 24, 2014, 13:08
Administrator

In the case of:
http://www.discogs.com/Cosmin-TRG-Repetitiv/release/5823744
The situation is:
name=TRG alias=Cosmin TRG
The web site displays: Cosmin TRG* ‎– Repetitiv

Here's the raw data:

----
artists: Array[1]
artists: [0] Dictionary
artists: [0] tracks:
artists: [0] id: 567073
artists: [0] join:
artists: [0] role:
artists: [0] anv: Cosmin TRG
artists: [0] resource_url: http://api.discogs.com/artists/567073
artists: [0] name: TRG
----

In the case of:
http://www.discogs.com/Doms-Deykers-Fonts-For-The-People/release/6021864
The situation is:
name= Steffie Doms alias=Doms
name= Martijn Deykers alias=Deykers
The web site displays: Doms* & Deykers* ‎– Fonts For The People

Here's the raw data:

----
artists: Array[2]
artists: [0] Dictionary
artists: [0] tracks:
artists: [0] id: 2119321
artists: [0] join: &
artists: [0] role:
artists: [0] anv: Doms
artists: [0] resource_url: http://api.discogs.com/artists/2119321
artists: [0] name: Steffie Doms
artists: [1] Dictionary
artists: [1] tracks:
artists: [1] id: 518875
artists: [1] join:
artists: [1] role:
artists: [1] anv: Deykers
artists: [1] resource_url: http://api.discogs.com/artists/518875
artists: [1] name: Martijn Deykers
----

My conclusion is that the Discogs web site displays the alias names as opposed to the 'names'. I could put in an option to use the alias names when present, however I cannot guarantee that Discogs does not sometimes present an alias when the actual 'name' is correct. Nor can I guarantee that there is not more than one alias given for a single artist.

BTW: in DIscogs terminology both the above examples use ANVs and not alias'. 'Also Known as Values'. To make matters worse there are also alias values.

I can save the alias names (ANV). We just have to decide on a format which would work. They can be saved one User Defined Text Item (UDTI) per alias or combined so that they can be iterated or if you really want, both ways.

eg.
Discogs_Alias_for_Steffie Doms=Doms
Discogs_Alias_for_ Martijn Deykers=Deykers
or
Discogs_Artist_Name_for_Doms=Steffie Doms
Discogs_Artist_Name_for_Deykers=Martijn Deykers

or:
Discogs_Alias=Steffie Doms=Doms;;;Martijn Deykers=Deykers
or
Discogs_Artists=Doms=Steffie Doms;;;Deykers=Martijn Deykers

Opinion?

As for arrays. Introducing data types in Yate would be very tough as there are none now except for 'string'. However you can use the 'Repeat With' function to iterate over delimited data. There are two choices:

1) You can uncheck the Prefs-Discogs-Combine multiple values into a single value option. In this case the artists and all array based fields will be delimited by the multi-value separator (;;; or \m).

2) If you prefer to leave the 'combine' option checked you can 'repeat with' the appropriate delimiter. The delimiter is almost always '&' as you can see in the above raw data under the 'join' parameter. If a 'join' is not supplied, Yate assumes '&'.

So the feedback I'd like is:

- add an option to default to alias names when present?
- what format preferable for alias information?
- save the artist information when alias/artist is flipped?

Sorry for the long rambling answer. I'd like to end up with something that makes sense 🙂

2MR2PostSeptember 26, 2014, 21:45
Administrator

I've implemented some stuff which will be in v3.0.1.

There is a new Discogs option to Prefer Artist Name Variations (ANVs). When this option is set AVNs will be used for artist names where present.

There is also a new Discogs metadata item called Artist Name Variations. When enabled for import, an association between artist names and AVNs will be saved. Each item saved has the format:

artist name=avn.

Multiple items are separated by the multi value separator. The information is saved to a UDTI named DISCOGS_ANV_LIST.

If you want to retain the data in a form which can be displayed on an edit panel you can use the following code snippet to map the data to a custom field which can be placed on a custom editing panel:

Export value of User Defined Text Item DISCOGS_ANV_LIST to Variable1
Replace '\m' in Variable1 with '\n'
Copy the Variable1 field to the Custom 1 field

You can iterate through the items via a Repeat With function using \m as the delimiter. For each iteration you will have an artist name=anv item. If the iteration data is in Variable0 you can extract the artist name to Variable1 and the AVN to Variable2 as follows:

Copy Variable 0 to Variable1 and Variable2
Find '= in Variable1, remove it and everything after
Find '= in Variable2, remove it and everything before

There is also a new Discogs metadata item called Artist list. This item contains a list of artists separated by the multi-value delimiter. If you have not specified the Discogs option Combine multiple value items into a single value, the data will be identical to the Artist field. The information is saved to a UDTI named DISCOGS_ARTIST_LIST. You can use this data to iterate over the artist names.

PowderPostSeptember 29, 2014, 20:28
Pro

Wow, thanks for the quick implementation!

As for arrays. Introducing data types in Yate would be very tough as there are none now except for 'string'. However you can use the 'Repeat With' function to iterate over delimited data. There are two choices:

I did not mean new data-types, just arrays as separated list or multi-value-field.

Just checked with an Aphex Twin alias (http://www.discogs.com/Brad-Strider-Bradleys-Beat/release/3579). «DISCOGS_ANV_LIST» absolutely makes sense. Not sure, if «DISCOGS_ARTIST_LIST» is needed.

Sadly (due to the Discogs API), the ANV in this release is not «Aphex Twin», but «Bradley Strider», so linking to «Aphex Twin» as ANV would require a lot of additional work, probably going through all ANVs and checking the numbers of releases to find out which ANV is the most famous one. Seems like the ANVs also vary, depending on which artist side you look at.

I opened another topic (http://2manyrobots.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=220) about separators and multiple-value-fields. I think it would be good to have separate editor fields, a multiline field (comment), a multi-value-field (multiple artists) and a raw field (which shows escape sequences like «/0»).

I don’t really understand how Yate handles multi-value fields and separator chars. «;;;» and «/n» are non-standard Yate only separators, right? ID3 uses «\0» or «\» (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#Multiple_values_in_v2.4_tags). Not sure about Flac. I’m just a bit concerned about standards. There is a website (http://sonicsquirrel.net) which cannot use Yate-tagged files (not sure on which side the problem is).

2MR2PostSeptember 29, 2014, 22:46
Administrator

<DISCOGS_ARTIST_FIELD> was added as a 'just in case' option. 🙂 If it's unchecked it costs nothing.

Wherever ID3 represents a multi value separator as a binary 0, \0, Yate uses the multi-field separator ;;;

This is simply more readable and has had some historic usage in older taggers.

;;; is converted back to 0x00 on output. The Flac metadata spec says that any field can occur more than once, which Yate constructs multi-value entries from. ie. if you have two TITLE flac comments, Yate will construct a single Title field with two values separated by ;;;

Yate only uses standard separators when writing to the files. Again, this is only meaningful in ID3 based containers and not for flac or m4a where the separator is arbitrary text and is perfectly valid.

Yate adheres to all standards for the audio files it supports. I'm not familiar with sonicsquirrel.net. What file format are you using? What do you mean by 'cannot use'? Is there a tag present before you tag it with Yate? This is of course a concern to me. If you can send me a link to a file before it's tagged and after I can look at the differences. Alternately you can try clearing one field at a time and determining when it will accept the file. (or the reverse order). Could be issues with them handling Unicode or any other variety of issues. Also if they are mp3 files can the site handle ID3 v4? If that's the case you can force Yate to write ID3 v3.

I've not heard of any player or even other taggers which cannot open files tagged by Yate. I'm more than willing to jump on any such issues.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.