Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Custom fields not displaying multiple values correctly
artur9PostFebruary 12, 2015, 15:50
February 12, 2015, 20:38
Normal topicCustom fields not displaying multiple values correctly

I'm starting to re-tag all my flac files. I am building up my classical collection so I wanted to make a custom panel for the fields I wanted for classical.

This is on a Mac running 10.6.8.

Custom panel works well although adding fields is cumbersome. I have to click between the boxes rather than on the boxes to add a field.

So, I made a Classical panel and I added the 3 custom fields Custom 1, Custom 2 and Custom 3. I renamed the panel and went into the preferences to rename the Custom fields to Performer, Instrument, and Period.

But if I type a multi-value into the custom fields they do not display correctly nor are does the edit behavior seem correct. The display only shows the first value and editing is very perplexing. I'd like it to behave like the Artist field. I type the value in using the normal ;;; syntax like Instrument 1;;;Instrument 2;;; Instrument 3.

I'd also like a lot more custom fields. Like 20 or 30.

2MR2PostFebruary 12, 2015, 16:09
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Custom fields not displaying multiple values correctly

Well I'll have to check if some of these issues are Snow Leopard related. I'm travelling and will not be back near a 10.6.8 Mac until the 22nd.

You should be able to add a custom field by right clicking anywhere inside an Unused box on a custom panel.

v3.4 coming soon has much more customization regarding the mapping of Custom fields. If you are an Audirvana user you will be able to directly map the 'extended classical' fields directly to their mappings.

v3.4 also extends the number of custom field to 10. Honestly I do not see the custom count getting higher than that.

I'm not sure how you're applying the multiple values to the custom fields. When you say "they do not display correctly" do you mean via Choose Value function or the display in another application? Not all fields are ID3 multi-value capable. By default custom fields are Comment fields which support multi-line text and do not support multiple values. You could always place the custom fields on an editing panel and resize them vertically, entering one value per line.

artur9PostFebruary 13, 2015, 07:00

The right-clicking on an unused box doesn't work on this Mac. I can try a Mac running newer software if you like.

To add multiple values I enter them as Value1;;;Value2;;;Value3.

For one of my tracks I added a custom PERFORMER field. I typed in Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello);;;Rudolf Serkin (Piano). metaflac shows that being stored correctly as 2 PERFORMER fields:
comment[14]: PERFORMER=Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello)
comment[15]: PERFORMER=Rudolf Serkin (Piano)

but trying to edit it to correct typos, etc. the field doesn't display as Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello);;;Rudolf Serkin (Piano). Instead it only shows
Mstislav Rostropovich (Cello). I think the other value might be hidden

2MR2PostFebruary 13, 2015, 08:22
Administrator

I cannot fathom what's happening with the right clicking on Snow Leopard. As I said I'll look at it when I have access to my Mac with the 5 supported OSs on it. I know that it certainly works as expected on 10.9 and 10.10.

Thanks for the details on the other issue. That one I could solve remotely 🙂

The custom fields were not being treated as the equivalent of simple text fields in the ID3 specification. Those fields support multiple values. This is really an issue of cramming all the file types into one unified handler. I can see no issue with supporting multiple values in a custom field, (in FLAC files) so I've patched the code to allow it and it seems to work as expected.

I'm more than happy to send you a link to a test build when ready. However, it will not be tested on Snow Leopard as of yet. Please let me know if you'd like to test the patch.

artur9PostFebruary 13, 2015, 11:35

I don't mind testing it on Snow Leopard for you. That's the machine I do most of my editing on.

It is possible, although an enormous hassle, to upgrade that one to Lion (10.7). Would it be worth it? It's a server hence the hassle.

2MR2PostFebruary 13, 2015, 16:12
Administrator

I sent the build link to your forum email address.

artur9PostFebruary 14, 2015, 14:53

OK, did some testing today. Works well but I forgot to save my old preferences before running the new Yate 🙁

I noticed 2 things and I have more information about the right-clicking. This is all on Snow Leopard.

1) When working in the Custom Panel I created, the gray coloring applied to selections is applied to not selected things in the Path column or the pane that contains that. Not sure what I did to cause that. Things ended up looking selected (gray) even though they were not.

2) If one were to put a long string into a custom field it does not scroll. When that happens you can no longer see what your typing at the right-most end of the string.

Right-clicking) The right clicking works but only within a few "pixels" from the edge of the box. If I click on the word in the box I do not get the pop up. If I click really close to the inner edge of the box on any side then I do get the pop up.

2MR2PostFebruary 14, 2015, 18:32
Administrator

Well I managed to get access to someone's media centre which is a Mac Mini running Snow Leopard. I had about an hour on the Mac before they kicked me off. I've found the right click issue. For some reason the event was not being propagated as expected on Snow Leopard. I've got a work around which has been tested.

The scroll issue with single line fields on custom panels is evident on all OS versions and is fixed as well. I guess nobody out there is scrolling.

I'm not sure what happened with files not selected being greyed. I'm not actually greying anything. When the table loses focus it greys the selected items. I have no doubt that you saw it happen but I'm not able to make it happen on my laptop and there's no way they're allowing me ore access to the Mac Mini.

I'll have a new build for you with the fixes either later tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for troubleshooting.

artur9PostFebruary 16, 2015, 14:27

This last version works well.

Now, if I can only find good information on these classical music releases....<grrrr>

2MR2PostFebruary 16, 2015, 17:03
Administrator

Glad it works. Unfortunately a common complaint with classical music tagging 🙁

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.