Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Encoded By field question
cpkPostMarch 7, 2015, 20:58
Advanced
March 1, 2015, 02:55
Normal topicEncoded By field question

I have a file that has a value in Encoded By and I want to edit it to remove the date information there and put it in the Encoded Time but I can't this field. Even if I delete everything in the field as soon as I click 'Save' it all comes back - with a yellow dot.

Is this expected/desired behavior? If so, why is this field not editable?

cpkPostMarch 7, 2015, 21:07
Advanced
Normal topicRe: Encoded By field question

Oh, I see that all my flac files have this similar type of field set - I'm going to have to research this - I'm guessing the info there isn't what I thought it was.

2MR2PostMarch 7, 2015, 21:29
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

All FLAC files have a vendor code which by default is mapped to the Encoded By field. Yate allows you to change this value if it is not mapped. Have you modified your FLAC mappings? Check what FLAC name you have the Encoded By field mapped to. Also check if any of the Yate fields are mapped to _Vendor_. By default Encoded By is mapped to _Vendor_. I'm guessing that this is not the case in your mappings.

2MR2PostMarch 7, 2015, 21:32
Administrator

Sorry. I mangled that post.

In Preferences Flac Mappings see what name (if any) Yate's Encoded By field is mapped to. Also see what Yate field (if any) a name of '_Vendor_' is mapped to.

cpkPostMarch 7, 2015, 21:37
Advanced

Hmm, well it looks like the mapping is correct. I don't see anything else in the Flac mappings that also has _Vendor_ 😕

2MR2PostMarch 7, 2015, 21:47
Administrator

In that case you must be setting the Encoded By field to empty which I would have understood if I read your earlier post correctly.

A FLAC file has to have a vendor string as its first Comment (tag) in the file. If you set the field mapped to _Vendor_ to empty, the initial contents will be reset when the file is saved. You can see this clearly by:
- set the Encoded By field to 'test'
- save the file
- set the Encode By field to empty
- save the file
- you will see 'test'

If you want to have an empty Encoded By field simply change the mapping to something else such as 'EncodedBy' and you can store whatever value you desire. The initial Vendor string will stay in place. 🙂

cpkPostMarch 7, 2015, 22:13
Advanced

Oh I see. Yep, I can edit and and save it as long as its not empty - wonder what I did before that made me think I couldn't. Hmm.

What exactly is this Vendor string? Do you know if it used for something important or is it entirely informational? They all look something like 'reference libFLAC 1.3.0 20130526' . I assumed that the first part is the version of libFLAC that is being used by the ripper, I'm using XLD these days and currently it is using libFLAC 1.3.3 but but I doubt it has always been that way since I've updated it at least once and before I used MAX experimentally and it hasn't been updated in years and I've no idea what library it is using, I'm thinking some of these older versions must have been when I was playing with it some time ago. Anyway, the other part I'm assuming is the date it was ripped but maybe that isn't right, maybe its the date of the library? I was going to rip something and pay attention to what happens to see if that is the app that is populating that filed because I don't recall any settings were I chose what gets written to this field. I'm trying to decide if there is really a good reason to populate or not to populate these various encoder fields. I don't a lot of my library in FLAC right now but I've been using it since I stopped using iTunes to rip disks plus given the choice on format to purchase digital music in I've been choosing FLAC so I'm getting more of these lately.

2MR2PostMarch 7, 2015, 22:33
Administrator

The "Ogg Vorbis I format specification: comment field and header specification" being very verbose says "It's a vendor string". Most rippers tend to put the libFLAC version in it somewhere. I can't imagine any application actually using the field for anything meaningful so I'm going with 'informational' 🙂

cpkPostMarch 7, 2015, 23:02
Advanced

That works for me - Thanks!

I just verified that XLD is writing that field and that it is not today's date so maybe it is the library date after all. And, there is no where in the preferences to change what is written in that field. Oh well, though I'd rather not put data into the file I can't imagine a reason to ever want it the future maybe I'll just ignore this one even though it makes no sense to me why a library version is being put as the vendor. Maybe just because _Vendor_ can't be an empty field and nobody thought of something better to put there. I sure can't. 😡

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.