Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
AppleScript to Open Yates from iTunes?
skyfingerPostNovember 6, 2015, 13:22
October 7, 2015, 18:55
Normal topicAppleScript to Open Yates from iTunes?

I'm really just getting started with Yate. There's a pretty great, consistent workflow when tracks aren't in iTunes yet. However, there are a lot of times where I'd like to work with tracks from iTunes in Yate. Currently, I'm essentially navigating in Finder (or using iTunes Show in Finder).

It'd be awesome if I could skip those steps and extra windows and be able to have an AppleScript in the iTunes Script folder to open the selected tracks in Yate. Since there are several Open Mode options, I'm not sure what the best way to handle that would be.

Is there any way this is possible? I'm not much of a scripter (yet).

Thanks!

2MR2PostNovember 6, 2015, 13:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: AppleScript to Open Yates from iTunes?

Implementing AppleScript in Yate is a slippery slope. We spend so much time enhancing our own Action system. Further, one AppleScript command will more than likely blossom out to being expose everything and we're not going to go down that road.

Just in case you're not aware of the fact....you can drag tracks from iTunes directly into Yate's main window. This is far easier than using the Finder as an intermediate step.

skyfingerPostNovember 10, 2015, 00:17
October 7, 2015, 18:55

Good to know, and that makes sense. I'm on an MBP without an external monitor, and there's not always a lot of room for easy drag and drop between windows like that, especially when one of the windows is iTunes. It tends to be most of the screen, and occasionally even in its own Space.

I'm going to throw out a potential compromise. There's already to view the Yate track in the iTunes Library or Playlist. What about an option to open the selected track in iTunes in Yate? Leave / Use the existing Yate Open preferences as set. I'm thinking of something like the option in iVolume (http://www.mani.de/en/ivolume/index.html) to adjust track selected in iTunes or iVolume.

Just a thought…

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2015, 08:15
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I'll take a look. It requires yet more AppleScript which I attempt to keep to a minimum.

The main issue I can see is that there is no way to get a track location from iTunes without them going out and validating the track. Depending on where your tracks are located this can be painfully slow. For a few OS releases now, Apple has had a non AppleScript read/only API available to poll the iTunes library. It was so slow that it was unusable.

For some reason, when you drag tracks they quite nicely pass on the track locations without too much overhead.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.