Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
File renaming with capitalization and exceptions
J00pPostDecember 15, 2015, 12:56
November 25, 2015, 17:51
Normal topicFile renaming with capitalization and exceptions

I want to make a file rename template using the Track and Title fields (Track - Title), All first word letters must be capitalized with exceptions (the, and ...).
But when the first word of the title is an exception I would like this to be capitalized too. This should be possible with Title Case? The Yate Help confirms this. But it does not work in my template. Is this because I start the filename with the track number? Is there a solution for this?

2MR2PostDecember 15, 2015, 13:07
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: File renaming with capitalization and exceptions

Most people now typically establish the alphabetic case in the fields and then apply the fields in the Rename template. However, this is not a requirement. If your Rename Template has Title Case and you checked off that you want the various exceptions to be performed....all should work as expected.

If it's not working I'll need the following to determine why. Either exports or screenshots of:

- the replacement template
- your exception set (Names List) Ⓝ
- your exception set (Title case) Ⓣ
- your default exception set ✔
- your default replacement set ✔

Also please give me a sample of the Title field which is failing.

Sorry, but without the information I can't do much 🙁

2MR2PostDecember 15, 2015, 16:04
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I came back for a 2nd look and it all makes more sense now. If you apply the case rules to the Title field and then renamed without modifying case all would have worked as expected. The beginning of the string is different in both scenarios.

As you have a track number at the front of the string, a following 'a',' the', etc. will not be an exception. If you want to continue doing it this way you will have to set up a few Replacement exceptions.

I'll attach an image containing examples for A, An and The. In all cases the 'from' and to' values end with a space character!

If you look at the help for Rename - Replacements it should all be clear. Basically it gives an exception for the specified pattern (a, an, the) following a list of special characters where an override should take place. Rename Replacements are the last step in a case transformation. I did 'An' a little differently because I was not sure if your track number is followed by a dash or simply a space. The 'An' example handles digits.

While this will work, I personally feel that it is cleaner to apply the case transformations to the metadata and then do the Rename operation without case modifications. It's much more deterministic this way as a field is a field, etc. The 'the' replacement item is pulled from my stuff which I always enable when setting fields to my case preferences. I hate when:

The collection: the band

becomes:

The Collection: the Band

with the 'the' replacement' I get:

The Collection: The Band

Also, I personally use Title-lowercase as it reduces the string to a clean slate and nulifies the Titlecase rules for mixed capitalization in the source. v3.10 allows you to tweak the Titlecase algorithm 🙂

Hopefully this all makes sense.

J00pPostDecember 16, 2015, 04:34
November 25, 2015, 17:51

Thank you for your quick answer. It's working now and I learned again.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.