Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Help with Rename/Organization Actions
marl3yPostMarch 19, 2016, 09:50
March 19, 2016, 03:41
Normal topicHelp with Rename/Organization Actions

I'm not a coder, so writing a script to do what I want is beyond me, so I'm going to ask for help. I was a long time user of Media Rage, so that's mu frame of reference. I need to organize a very large collection. I don't plan on doing it in a single automate swipe, as things are already organized by artist. I want to go in and update the metadata and generally make thing tidier and more complete. The collection is almost exclusively album based, so dealing with orphan tracks or compilations is not an issue. Here's the folder/file format I'm looking for...

Artist
Year - Album [Comment](if present)
TrackNumber. Title

I'll try to attach an image as I'm sure it will be easier to interpret. Here's my logic, but I'm open to feedback. The artist/album hierarchy is pretty common and most people use that. I'd like to add the year so albums are ordered according to release vs alphabetical. In general I like to include unique formats in the album, things like (EP), (LP)... I don't mind those showing up on whatever player I'm using. However when browsing the media there are times when additional details is helpful like the catalog number or something else of my choosing. In the example I've attached "(Japan, VICP-60481)" is part of the album tag. So it's will always be displayed with the album on a player. Ideally I'd like to include that into the Comment field and have it appended to the folder that designates the album so it's easily identifiable while browsing the hard drive, but invisible when the music played on a device. I hope that makes sense. As I mentioned any suggestions, critique or alternatives are welcome. Otherwise help coding the Renaming script and or Action is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2MR2PostMarch 26, 2016, 14:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Help with Rename/Organization Actions

Sorry I missed this post when the forum notifications were down.

We can easily put something together for you. I've a couple of questions for clarification reasons:

You've specified the parent folder should be Artist. Would you prefer Album Artist and a step down to Artist if not available? In either case do you want the Artist/Album Artist fields trusted or do you want to skip or perform special handling if they are inconsistent? Should we assume a folder is always an album? As your sample artist is Stratovarius this may be a poor example but do you want The Rolling Stones folder to be:

The Rolling Stones
or
Rolling Stones, The
or
Rolling Stones

Almost the same question with the containing folder. If the Album field is not consistent do you want the tracks split into different folders, skipped or to have an exception folder? Also do you want to limit the length of the Comment field if available?

Let us know the answers and we'll get you something ASAP.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.013 seconds.