Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Case after hyphen (word boundaries)
kawayamaPostJuly 6, 2016, 17:56
July 5, 2016, 16:10
Normal topicCase after hyphen (word boundaries)

I noticed that when using Title Case, the character after a hyphen will be capitalized (for example: Re-imagined = Re-Imagined). Is there a preference setting that controls this, can I turn it off?

2MR2PostJuly 6, 2016, 18:11
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Case after hyphen (word boundaries)

This may be a bug. It seems that specifying - as a Middle Character in Preferences-General-Configure Titlecase should inhibit it but it is not. I'll have to look at the code in detail and get back to you.

2MR2PostJuly 6, 2016, 18:28
Administrator

Well this is an Apple-ism. At points in the Titlecase algorithm I use Apple's Capitalize API. It seems as if their Capitalize implementation capitalizes re-imagine as Re-Imagine. I'll have to work around this as it is not what I expected.

2MR2PostJuly 6, 2016, 18:55
Administrator

I've done a little more research on this and while there are mixed opinions, the general consensus is that hyphened words in titles capitalize all components. Largely due to Apple's Capitalize implementation, this is Yate's current behaviour.

You can tell the Titlecase algorithm to leave words containing - characters alone. This means that whatever capitalization is currently in place will not be modified. You can do this in General Preferences-Configure Titlecase. Add dash as a Middle and Inhibit character.

I will look into adding an option so that you can choose whether components after dashes get capitalized.

kawayamaPostJuly 7, 2016, 10:20
July 5, 2016, 16:10

Thanks for taking the time!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.