Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Add support for "work and movement"
AreDiggPostAugust 4, 2016, 17:32
August 4, 2016, 21:22
Normal topicAdd support for "work and movement"

Apple has added some new metadata in the newer iTunes where you can add work of the (classical) composer and each movement in the work/suite.
In Yate they will be shown as unhandled. Would be great if you can support those.

2MR2PostAugust 4, 2016, 17:36
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Add support for "work and movement"

Okay, we'll have a look.

2MR2PostAugust 4, 2016, 17:44
Administrator

Can you point me to a track which you've downloaded which has the new metadata.

AreDiggPostAugust 5, 2016, 07:47

I can put some files on dropbox and give you the link in someway?

2MR2PostAugust 5, 2016, 08:12
Administrator

You can email me a DropBox link to the support@2manyrobots.com address. If you wish you can give me a link to a track on iTunes. I purchased a few yesterday but none of them had "new" metadata.

AreDiggPostAugust 5, 2016, 09:22

Ok e-mail sent.

2MR2PostAugust 5, 2016, 12:45
Administrator

Thanks. Your stuff was helpful. I downloaded the album you indicated from iTunes but it did not have any of the metadata. I purchased it in 12.4.x not 12.5 but I can't see that making a difference.

Regardless, I can see the metadata in 12.5 (on Sierra) and can modify it.

I can see five new fields:
Work Name
Movement Number
Movement Count
Movement Name
Show Movement Name in iTunes (a checkbox)

It's interesting that they do not support the display of both the movement name and the title. It's either or.

While they support the new metadata in their database for mp3 files they seem to have decided not to write the data out to the files. As far as I can tell, the new metadata is all exposed in AppleScript with the exception of the 'Show Movement Name in iTunes' setting. So, in theory it is possible to support the new metadata in ID3 based files as well.

Adding the support for MPEG files is fairly straightforward. I will more than likely wait to support the fields in other formats as nothing is actually released yet. They may decide to export the metadata to mp3 files and I'd hate to implement a strategy other than whatever they use.

I'll get back to you when there is something to test.

AreDiggPostAugust 5, 2016, 16:40

Quote from 2MR2 on August 5, 2016, 12:45
I purchased it in 12.4.x not 12.5 but I can't see that making a difference.

I chose those specifically because I received the metadata (although the show toggle have to be manually toggled). But it was from download from Apple on 12.5. I imagined the metadata was part of the file and not applied during or after a download, but that may not be the case then.

It's interesting that they do not support the display of both the movement name and the title. It's either or.

Who know what Apple thinks, but I believe backwards compatibility is a reason. And they don't want people to use the title as a third extra field.

I understand that you are hesitant until it is formally released. I am just eager to start to add it to my library of ripped classical cd's, and using iTunes is at best slow. 🙂

2MR2PostAugust 5, 2016, 16:47
Administrator

I'm putting it in now in the latest preview for v3.14. I'll send you a preview link when it's ready.

jprokosPostJanuary 25, 2018, 13:38
January 25, 2018, 18:28

This is an older thread, but I was curious if anyone has figured out how to use a service to automatically fill in the "Work Name", "Movement" information? Filling by hand is tedious even with Yate. Acoustic ID, Discogs, MusicBrainz.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.033 seconds.