Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Hooks?
artelsePostAugust 15, 2016, 18:47
August 15, 2016, 22:20
Normal topicHooks?

Yet another newbie here and testing out Yate. Is there an option to have an action run on certain events like when you load up new files or on save perhaps? Or should we stick with the batch processor to do that?

Anyway, Yate looks great so far, wished I came across this thing years ago to manage 65k files 😉

2MR2PostAugust 15, 2016, 19:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Hooks?

Hmm...not really. The only event that can trigger an action is dragging stuff to the Dock icon. If you've set a Default action, it will run when the drag completes.

Actions can do anything the UI can and far more. As opposed to having an action trigger when files are saved, you can have an action which does everything you want and saves the files. These actions can be written to run in the foreground through the UI or via the Batch Processor.

As an example I have a 'new album' action which configures all the metadata, capitalization, etc. the way I like it. It runs some sanity checks to make sure the metadata is consistent and is not missing. It also adds the album to track, album and artist databases, moves the files to my NAS drive, adds the files to iTunes and tells my Sonos system to update its library.

In v3.14 you can even have action buttons on custom panels and actions can test the state of the Modifier keys which enable some pretty funky workflows.

artelsePostAugust 16, 2016, 07:19
August 15, 2016, 22:20

Ah, I couldn't get the Default action to work, it only triggers on Dock icon drag.. Would it be an idea to also have the ability to trigger on a drag from the file browser to the main window?
Your workflow is something I am working towards, do you have this all compiled into one action or do you split it up in reusable modules? Ok, am obviously on the learning curve 😉

2MR2PostAugust 16, 2016, 08:10
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

The default action only triggers when dragging to the Dock icon. It's years late now but a better name for it might have been the 'Dock' action.

I'm not too keen on making an action trigger on a drag to the main window. People drag new albums, albums to be modified or touched up. They drag stuff in to look for artwork., etc. Far to many initiators to pick a single outcome. Of course, you can have an action prompt you for decisions.

You can have up to five action icons (not counting the default) on the toolbar.

My new album workflow is broken into many reusable components. It's organized as follows:

Top Level:
- calls 'New album, Move, Update db, Update Sonos'
- exports non file contained metadata to iTunes

New album, Move, Update db, Update Sonos:
- calls 'New Album, Move, Update db'
- calls Update Sonos

New Album, Move, Update db
- calls 'New Album then Move'
- Opens my album and track database
- Updates and saves the databases
- calls 'Add to Artist Ref DB' to update my Artist db

New Album then Move
- calls 'New Album'
- calls 'Move to NAS'

Move to NAS
- moves the files
- creates folder.jpg files
- adds an icon to the folder containing the moved album

New Album
- calls 'The Works'
- assigns Yate Album and Track IDs
- sets the Purchase Date
- conditionally adds the tracks to iTunes

The Works
- sets the alphabetic case of all fields
- trims all fields
- flattens the discs and calculates the track count
- tries to construct an Album Artist field if missing
- renames the files
- cleans the Year and Purchase Date fields
- flags inconsistent metadata in Genre, Artist, Album, Year, etc.
- runs 'Album Artist first in Musician Credits'
- runs the 'Featuring Manipulation' action to coalesce all 'featuring' on the Title field. (On the Sample Actions web page).

etc. 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.