Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Yate not saving "Year recorded" for .mp3 files
someboodyPostNovember 19, 2016, 14:03
November 19, 2016, 17:54
Normal topicYate not saving "Year recorded" for .mp3 files

Hi,

First off wanted to say a big thank you to the developers at 2ManyRobots for this amazing application. Finally I can edit my music files in bulk with the bonus of being able to create highly customisable actions - it's a godsend! 😀 Also, I just realised how lengthy this post has become, but rest assured, it's a simple problem I'm experiencing 🙂

Background:

Having spent many hours editing and perfecting the tags for my music files, I I uploaded my music library to Google Music. It was only then that I began to notice that the Year value for all of my music were not showing on Google Music. Initially, I thought this was an error on Google's server side having issues reading the Year value of the music files as iTunes correctly showed the Year of my tracks/albums without issue after editing with Yate. However, after a few days of trying to figure out why it wasn't reading the Year value of my tracks and Google's tech support telling me to check my tags thoroughly, I'm almost sure I've found the suspect.

The issue/bug:

Basically, whenever I edit an .mp3 file with Yate, it somehow cleans a field related to the year of the track. In Finder, this is shown as "Year Recorded" and can be viewed by clicking on Get Info (CMD+i) for the mp3 file or via Finder's View Options to show the "Year Recorded column". I noticed that an mp3 track which already has a "Year Recorded" is removed whenever the file has been edited by Yate. Changing the title or even the Year would remove the "Year Recorded" date and it will no longer exist.

The same issue does not appear for .aac files when you edit it's metadata and the "Year Recorded" field is successfully changed by Yate when you change the "Year" field in Yate.

So from what I can see, Yate is correctly editing the "Year Recorded" field for a .aac file but deletes that field for a .mp3 file whenever a .mp3 file is saved with Yate.

I can confirm that .mp3 files do have a "Year Recorded" field as some of my mp3 files not edited with Yate show a Year Recorded value in Finder. What it's called at a root level (or if it's called the same) I'm not sure, Finder just displays this info as "Year Recorded". But this is the culprit I've confirmed that is causing Google Play Music not being able to read/display the Year of my tracks/albums because it is using that specific data as the source of the Year of the tracks. In addition, Finder seems to be using that field when you search files through the Mac's Spotlight feature.

Side notes/findings:

- I know that the "Release Time"/"Original Release Time" does not change/is not the "Year Recorded" field in Finder.
- I use the term "Year Recorded" as that's what it's called in Finder. Have no idea if that is the same as the field used to store the Year of the track or whether it's a different field altogether embedded in the file.

I appreciate that for many this isn't something they'd bother about as they use iTunes and it's displaying fine in iTunes. But at a more rooted level, the lack of a Year is causing issues. I'm guessing that this was an oversight in coding as it seems to set the Year Recorded perfectly fine with .aac files but doesn't do so with .mp3 files, but I'll leave it to the experts to at 2ManyRobots to correct me 🙂

I would be extremely grateful if this bug could be fixed as for me, it feels as though Yate has destroyed all my Year data (although it's fine on iTunes). I'm sure it's a simple fix 🙂

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions of re-embedding the "Year Recorded" as a temporary solution, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you (and sorry for the lengthy post).!! 😉

2MR2PostNovember 19, 2016, 14:59
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Yate not saving "Year recorded" for .mp3 files

First off, nothing has been lost. ....and now for a lengthy answer.

The information is stored correctly. MP3 and AIFF share the same code base as they both use ID3 tags. This is an issue relating to which version of the ID3 specification is used. Yate defaults to ID3v2.4 since ID3v2.4 has been around since 2000 and is a better specification. With the exception of Windows which stopped support at ID3v2.3, virtually every decent player handles v2.4 correctly. Yate will read ID3 v2.2, 2.3 and 2.4. It will write as 2.3 or 2.4.

Even though Macs fully support v2.4, they obviously have an issue in the GetInfo panel with v2.4. Google must be reading v2.4 correctly but they are not reading the year from the correct low level frame.

In v2.3 the year metadata is stored in a TYER frame:

TYER
The 'Year' frame is a numeric string with a year of the recording.
This frames is always four characters long (until the year 10000).

In v2.4 the year metadata is stored in a TDRC frame:

TDRC
The 'Recording time' frame contains a timestamp describing when the audio was recorded.

In both cases Yate adheres to the standards.

If an mp3 or diff file is written using ID3v2.3, the Finder displays the Recording Year. If either file type is written using v2.4, the Finder does not display the Recording year.

If you wish you can rewrite your files to use ID3 v2.3. The Finder functionality (and I presume Google's) will be restored. First in Preferences-Audio on the ID3 tab, specify ID3v2.3 for AIFF and MP3.

You can then update your files as follows:

- in the UI do a File>Save Selected Files>Save Always. This will rewrite the files without requiring changes. You can use this method to validate the results.

- via an action do the following:

Force Grouped Execution
Set the action test state to true for audio types: aiff, mp3
if true
Save all files
endif

You can run the above action in the Batch Processor and handle your entire collection if you wish. The Yate Resources section has an action called Force Save All MP3 and AIFF Files. You can download the action and remove a single line to end up with the above action. Simply Disable or Delete the Test if the Grouping or Work Name fields exist (And results) line.

BTW: Yate preserves all metadata in the files it reads. If there is something we don't understand it is kept in the Unhandled section and is rewritten when the files get modified.

2MR2PostNovember 19, 2016, 15:05
Administrator

Oops. There is also a sample action called ID3 v2.4-->v2.3 which will do the same and is more efficient as it will only rewrite files which are stored as v2.4.

someboodyPostNovember 19, 2016, 17:22

@2MR2

I could come over to your place and give you a fat smooching kiss (on the lips). I've literally wasted so many hours over the last week trying to figure out what's gone wrong and have had no success apart from narrowing down where the issue may have been. Thank you so much for this detailed, easy to understand explanation. I've just changed the ID3 version to v2.3 and force-saved the files (which I was unaware of) and voila, Finder shows the Year, but most importantly, Google's server's seem to be able to now read the Year value of all my tracks. I'm in the process of uploading my large collection to Google Play Music and so far everything seems perfect now. Although I would have preferred to use 2.4, I guess I've got to use 2.3 for compatibility with Google Play Music.

Many thanks once again for the quick and detailed reply. It's genuinely much appreciated. If I'm honest, I was sceptical about purchasing Yate, but took the plunge because I was desperate for a decent ID3 tagging software for Mac OS as iTunes and other third-party software were very lacklustre. Each day I've used it, I started to appreciate how much you can do with Yate and how powerful it actually is. I'm actually really happy with my purchase + the support I've just received here and the new software update to Yate today tops it off. 😀

someboodyPostNovember 19, 2016, 17:27

Edit: ok, maybe I took it too far with the smooching business, but thank you!

2MR2PostNovember 19, 2016, 17:29
Administrator

LOL!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.