Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Artist/Album/# track name action?
sjkissPostJune 6, 2017, 10:47
April 25, 2017, 17:32
Normal topicArtist/Album/# track name action?

Hi there: I am brand new to Yate but really like it. How do I modify the file and folder action so that files are placed into a a folder that reads /Artist/Album/# Track name?
Currently, the default is creating folders that read /Artist/Artist-Album/# Track Name

Thank you.

2MR2PostJune 6, 2017, 10:54
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Artist/Album/# track name action?

What action are you currently using? There is no default 🙂

There are lots of ways to do this. I'd like to know what you're using as I assume the 'Artist' folder is being placed in the correct location.

sjkissPostJune 6, 2017, 13:22

OK, I'm going into "Manage Actions" and I've opened up the move function. I've specified the path as : /Volumes/Multimedia/Music/Artist/Album

But, instead of treating "Artist" as like a flag or a variable and taking the Artist name as a folder name, it is moving it to teh folder "Artist/Album/ filename.

2MR2PostJune 6, 2017, 14:22
Administrator

If you opened a Move function you got it from somewhere. You either wrote it or downloaded it. There is no built in action called "move".

Let's go about this differently. You want your folder structure to be:

/Artist/Album/# Title

Questions:

1) Do you really want 'Artist' or do you want 'Album Artist'? 'Album Artist' fill fall back to 'Artist' if it is empty. Also using 'Artist' will split up compilations into separate folders, which I personally hate.
2) Do you want the tracks moved relative to where there are or is there a fixed path preceding the Artist?
3) Do you want to move non audio files with the tracks? (again 'Album Artist' recommended)
4) Do you want to delete any folders that become empty?

If you always want the tracks offset off a fixed path, let me know.
eg. /....../path/Artist/Album/# Title.
I need to know what "/....../path" is

If you want the tracks' moved relative to where they initially were, I have to know the relative offset:
eg. for a file at: ..../A/B/track
Do you want it placed at:
.../A/B/Artist/Album/# Track?
.../A/Artist/Album/# Track?
.../Artist/Album/# Track
or somewhere else entirely?

The action to do either scenario is easy. I just have to know where you want the files to go.

2MR2PostJune 8, 2017, 12:50
Administrator

If you want to simply move the files. The following images describe a Move statement which can be created as a one line action. The second image describes the rename template which sets the filename and checks for duplicates.

I am moving to /Volumes/Music which is the share on my NAS drive. I am supplying placeholders for Album Artist and Album in case they are empty. Of course, this never is needed in my files 🙂 If you wish to use Artist as opposed to Album Artist, simply change the field.

sjkissPostJune 9, 2017, 10:22

Thanks, this is really helpful. What I ended up doing was just putting this in the Specified field:

/Volumes/Multimedia/Music/\{Artist}/\{Album}

It seemed to work really well. Is that not advised?

2MR2PostJune 9, 2017, 12:20
Administrator

The benefit of doing it as I did via the field insertion, is that there are checks to see if the data is empty. When empty data is detected, the placeholders (if specified), will be inserted. Also, the field insertion performs special semantics on the Album Artist field.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.029 seconds.