Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Can Yate assist with (near) Global edit fail in iTunes?
alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 01:03
June 24, 2017, 22:53
Normal topicCan Yate assist with (near) Global edit fail in iTunes?

Hi folks,

Long, but please read - it's all relevant.

I'm relatively new to Yate, but I've been using it now for about 3 weeks enhancing what was already a fairly well organized iTunes library, and it's been great.

Just moments ago, I made a big mistake while editing metadata in iTunes directly. I was editing in iTunes because it only format-based edits, and only an [intended for] EP of 5 tracks. I was going for a shift selection from the top to bottom of the 5 tracks. This particular artist is in the Z's. I didn't realize that I had unwittingly selected all the way from A to the end of the EP I was working on.

I clicked stop quickly on the iTunes operation. It had edited about 300 tracks out of 5,257 - so it could definitely be worse.

Fields affected were Artist, Album, Album Artist, Genre, and Total Track Count. Song Name and Album Art makes it possible to identify individually, but this will take absolutely forever.

I set the Album Artist and Album temporarily to "MUSTFIX" to keep them grouped, then pulled them into Yate. I was able to recover *some* data by selecting the tracks ---> right-click ----> AcoustID ----> Fingerprint, Get Data, Import IDs ----> Match Tracks to Possibly Multiple Releases.

Unattended Metadata Lookups bombs every time I try it. Again, I just started using Yate, and I'm sure that there is scripting that could be done, or some other set of Actions with the right preferences, but I've just been going album by album pulling in data because. I don't know which of the tracks involved have already been fully tagged - probably the ones that AcoustID pulled in data on I'm guessing.

Any suggestions on a way to use Yate to help with my situation?

I've attached screenshots of what I run into when trying to use Unattended Metadata Lookups (these messages always pop up, dating back to the first day I purchased the software.) You'd think that this particular action would REALLY mean "UNATTENDED" (or work, for that matter)

I'm running version 3.16.2.2.

2MR2PostJuly 10, 2017, 06:27
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Can Yate assist with (near) Global edit fail in iTunes?

Oops....let's see if we can do something.

The first error message simply says that a single release cannot be found which matches all the tracks. This makes sense as you have about 300 tracks loaded (I presume). The second error message is due to the fact that you're running the action interactively, the documentation for the actions starts with:

The purpose of this action is to extract as much information as possible from MusicBrainz. It assumes that the folders being processed contain at most one album.

It is designed to be run through the batch processor. It will not run interactively.

I'm sure that none of the above comments are making you feel any better. 🙁

If the tracks are decent rips it should be possible to get the titles back via AcoustID. However, songs appear on multiple albums and as you've lost most of the pertinent metadata it might be difficult to determine the correct album when working with a group of 300 files.

If you do not have the dreaded iTunes preference "Keep iTunes library organized" set, they will not have renamed the files when making changes. It should be possible to get back some of the context information from the file structure and name. This depends on the file structure you use and the naming conventions that you have. Again, if iTunes is "organizing" they may have renamed and moved everything when the glitch occurred.

Download the action at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/AlexS-DB.zip

Unzip the file then do a Yate>Import Preferences selecting the unzipped "AlexS-DB.plist" file. This will give you a simple one line action and an export set.

First load the 300 files. Set Yate's Open Mode to Playlist and drag the files from iTunes into Yate. Select all the loaded files then run the "AlexS DB" action. You will be prompted for the name of a database file. The action will produce a Yate Track database with each track's path, duration, fingerprint and a lot of metadata which more than likely is missing. I'm fingerprinting the files in case you did not save them. (If you have the fingerprints, they will not be done again). I am reverting all changes.

Send me the produced database (support@2manyrobots.com) and associated plist file. (ie. abc.csv and abc.plist). I'll see what can be extracted from the file path and the best way to proceed. I'll have the fingerprints so I can even attempt a couple of test lookups.

Keep your fingers crossed.

alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 20:15

Thanks for getting back to me.

You're correct - I believe I was misusing the action (and quite frustrated in the moment [as I mentioned, I was in the Zs, so as you might imagine, I was almost done with what I was doing] - sorry if I came across a little harsh toward the end there). I had a feeling that the first prompt was less relevant than the second in that moment.

I'm also now remembering reading the text you quoted above a couple of weeks back on that action's documentation, as you mentioned. I'm guessing that, were there not a huge programming obstacle in the way, there WOULD be an ability to truly have unattended metadata lookups. As I've discovered while using the software, MusicBrainz & Discogs, being maintained by the public, aren't 100% consistent with regard to formatting, so I definitely have to make a lot of choices and deselect checkboxes here and there. No magic wands, but the software definitely enriches my metadata.

I have read time and time again that the "Keep iTunes Library Organized" feature is something to avoid. At this time, I do still have it set on. Mainly because in the past I have liked the fact that it will delete folders and sort of "clean up its mess" as you adjust metadata, but I think it's time to turn it off. It came in most convenient when I had iTunes Match, which I let expire last month. That subscription was a blessing and a cluster at the same time...lots of track quality upgrades, and while cloud services certainly come in handy, I really value my local data. But yeah, I had to delete M4P tracks and make innumerable other adjustments during that period [but it upgraded around 4,000 tracks to 256 from 160 or 192...], so the automated organization helped then at least.

I'm so sorry to tell you this, as I am unbelievably grateful that you worked on that action for me...I downloaded and imported it, then reviewed the individual components. I would happily send you the database export, but I was able to narrow it down to about 250 actual problem tracks, and after the AcoustID context menu action I mentioned [and after I made the post], I determined that I was able to get all but ~50 in a position to easily make a couple of edits.

Once it got down to 50, I said screw it I can do 50 manually...gosh I feel bad now. I didn't expect anyone to set out to personally assist in fixing my problem. Most forums I just get a vague, half-assed suggestion. 😛

I want to familiarize myself with the more advanced features and actions. (I've seen the sample actions page.) The YouTube videos are just introductory. Do you have any suggestions? Obviously there is documentation, but perhaps a suggestion on a learning exercise or two, or a different approach? I'm just worried that I'll get stuck in a rhythm of using the features I've figured out and not venture much further.

alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 20:21

While I've got you on the line....

Is there a way to this quirky preference: I dabble in electronic music, but whether electronic or not, I like to use brackets rather than parentheses for anything that is related to the modification of an original production. Occasionally a song may have parentheses in the title, though.

I would want it to look like [this is entirely made up so don't bother looking it up] "Why Won't She (Call Me Back) [Lil Jon Remix]".

This does not mean that I want featured artists in the title - they're fine the way MusicBrainz etc tends to have them, in the Artist field.

2MR2PostJuly 10, 2017, 20:31
Administrator

I'm glad you recovered your metadata 🙂

Yate can rename anything to anything. I'm not sure what you want to do. You sent me an 'after' but what was the text before?

ie. you want "Why Won't She (Call Me Back) [Lil Jon Remix]", but what does it look like before?

alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 21:17

Thanks, me too!

I phrased that poorly - I meant: when pulling in data (especially since, at least for Remixes pulled from Beatport, a name is placed in the "Remixer" field) is it possible to, in an automated fashion, assert that this information will appear (or be modified afterward) in brackets?

What I'm getting at fundamentally is - I have formatting preferences that I'd prefer to implement across the board. This may be difficult due to the fact that the Title field is what it is when coming in from the data sources.

But at the same time, if there was some action or combination of actions that would allow me to take "Why Won't She (Call Me Back) (Lil Jon Remix)" to "Why Won't She (Call Me Back) [Lil Jon Remix]" (or set it to pull in the data that way from the beginning) it would save me time. It's small, but I'm weird.

2MR2PostJuly 10, 2017, 21:27
Administrator

Ahh. Well any action would be text and pattern based. If the trigger is the word 'remix' and action could certainly be written to do the change. All changes would have to be after importing from MusicBrainz, Discogs and/or Beatport.

As you said, you can't trigger on a trailing ) as that happens quite often. However, you could trigger on the (.......remix) and change it to [..... remix]. Does that make sense? BTW actions can be run automatically after importing so t could be automated. Let me know if the previous stuff will work for you. I could write a tiny action to do it.

alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 22:56

Yes, that does make sense, and that would certainly work. It is usually (xxx remix) but I prefer to capitalize Remix (I'm so anal about these things I must sound absurd) and also sometimes they use the word Edit or something else. Being that "remix" or "Remix" would cover 98% of tracks, I'm not terribly concerned about the rest.

If it's not too difficult I would appreciate it. Unless it's more work to explain than to do, I'm also happy to do it, being pointed in the right direction. I have some basic coding logic in my head somewhere. If, then, else.... and the actions approach makes that a little easier - if you know how to choose. (There are a LOT!) 🙂

alex_siskPostJuly 10, 2017, 22:58

So preferably (xxx remix) would become [xxx Remix], and would always be the last text string in the Title field, where applicable.

2MR2PostJuly 10, 2017, 22:59
Administrator

Okay.... something tomorrow

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.