Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Interaction b/n YATE and JRiver for MP3s
ratmicePostNovember 10, 2017, 00:37
Beginner
December 23, 2014, 21:35
Normal topicInteraction b/n YATE and JRiver for MP3s

So having a bit of an issue and I'm sure it has to do with my ignorance. I use JRiver Media Center as my media player. It also has tagging capabilities. I have created a tag field to access the Sort Album Artist (ALBUMARTISTSORT) field. After adjusting tags in JRiver I can see the expected results in YATE, and vice versa. This works for FLACs, but not MP3s. When I attempt to do the same thing with MP3s, User Defined Text Info fields are added to the files, specifically the fields: Album Artist, ALBUMARTISTSORT, and Tool Name. I assume this is due to MP3s not having the ALBUMARTISTSORT field, or something.

Being a complete idiot in this arena, is there a way to compensate for this? Should I just create some kind of action that will copy the info from the UDTI field to the standard Sort Album Artist Field. Way out of my league here.

Thanks for any pointers.

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 07:19
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Interaction b/n YATE and JRiver for MP3s

Sort Album Artist is a more or less standard field in mp3 files. While not part of the ID3 specification, it has for years been consistently mapped by iTunes to the TSO2 frame. I've not seen any application which doesn't use this. Somewhere in JRIver's settings when you create a mapping you should be able to specify the frame for mp3 (ID3) files. More than likely in the same place where you configured the FLAC mapping. It has to be fixed in JRiver because if you simply copy the fields in Yate, you will have two copies and they will be out of sync eventually. I'm sure it's possible to configure as most people migrate from iTunes and I'm sure JRiver has some means of working with the 'standard' location.

You should not be seeing a UDTI for Album Artist. If you are, then the mapping is incorrect in JRiver. Album Artist has been in every variant of the ID3 specification for two decades now. It is mapped to the TPE2 frame.

Tool Name is not standard in any tagging system and will appear as a UDTI in Yate. You can, if you wish, map this to a Custom Field in Yate. Either way, Custom Field or UDTI, you can place the field on a Custom Editing Panel for easier viewing.

Hopefully this helps.

ratmicePostNovember 10, 2017, 12:11
Beginner

I thought that Sort Album Artist (SAA) was fairly standard, too. However, for MP3s I can't get it to work. With FLACs, changes in JRiver to the SAA field stick and show up in YATE. Conversely, changes in YATE are picked up by JRiver at the next update. All changes are shown in the Sort Album Artist field in YATE. There are no UDTIs created.

With MP3s, when changing the SAA field in JRiver the changes show up in YATE, but in a UDTI called ALBUMARTISTSORT. (There are also Album Artist and Tool Name UDTIs, but these are likely propagated by JRIver and don't seem to have any bearing on the issue.) No changes are made to the YATE Sort Album Artist field. Conversely, only changes made to the UDTI field, propagate to JRiver, whereas changes to the Sort Album Artist field do not.

There seems to be only one location for mapping tags in JRiver, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Currently I have 2 actions that copy data from one YATE field to another to keep things working, but that seems kludgy (and you have to remember to do it).

Also, I have tried making new library fields with TSO2 and Sort Album Artist to no avail.

ratmicePostNovember 10, 2017, 12:59
Beginner

Here is some info from a tag dump (in JRiver), Seems that there are 2 areas to store SAA data (TSO2 and TXXX (ALBUMARTISTSORT). In the FLAC files there is a non-prefixed ALBUMARTISTSORT field.

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 13:31
Administrator

TSO2 is what Yate uses. If JRiver was writing that, Yate would see it. Album Artist should be TPE2. The TXXX fields are not read by Yate as they are not the standards.

The only way to get around the issue may be to use a Custom field to view the data as opposed to the 'standard' field.

You can create a Custom field called Sort Album Artist. Map the ID3 definition to TXXX/ALBUMARTISTSORT. Map the FLAC definition to ALBUMARTISTSORT. Go to Preferences-FLAC Mappings and remove the mapping for Sort Album Artist. From this point on MP3 and FLAC will both stuff the Custom Field with the same data as populated by Yate or JRiver. However, the data will not be in the standard location. If you decide to go down this route, you can display the Custom Field on a Custom Editing Panel.

Unfortunately I can't get them to read/write the standard locations. 🙁

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 13:50
Administrator

Is Album Artist working okay now? Is it only Sort Album Artist which is not working. I can always add a dirty patch to read/write both items. It certainly would not be the first dirty patch.

ratmicePostNovember 10, 2017, 18:27
Beginner

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't had time to dig into it any more today, but I will see if I can try what you suggested. I will update here once I get a bit of time to play around. I think part of my problem is that I know just -just- enough to be dangerous.

You can create a Custom field called Sort Album Artist. Map the ID3 definition to TXXX/ALBUMARTISTSORT. Map the FLAC definition to ALBUMARTISTSORT.

This is where I run into trouble, not sure how to make a custom field and then define the ID3 mappings and FLAC mapping. I do see the FLAC mappings tab in preferences, but not exactly sure what to do. Sorry for my ignorance.

BTW I don't use the other sorting fields so not sure if the problem is more widespread, but I suspect so.

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 21:37
Administrator

Yah, I've downloaded the Media Center trial and played with it a little. There are two main issues. It seems to crash constantly on High Sierra. Also their method of defining custom tags totally ignores the underlying audio file type. So a dirty patch to ALBUMARTISTSORT will not work for all users as if they only have mp3 files it can be named Album Artist Sort or My Album Artist Sort or anything. I will have to think of a more general solution.

To create the Custom Field, go to Preferences-File List-Column Mappings and Custom Fields-Configure. Define a custom field as in the attached image.

There are sample Custom Edit Panels on the Resource page. You can create them by right clicking on any Editing Panel preset button (Info, Artwork, etc.) and by selecting the Edit Custom Panels menu item.

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 21:37
Administrator

Yah, I've downloaded the Media Center trial and played with it a little. There are two main issues. It seems to crash constantly on High Sierra. Also their method of defining custom tags totally ignores the underlying audio file type. So a dirty patch to ALBUMARTISTSORT will not work for all users as if they only have mp3 files it can be named Album Artist Sort or My Album Artist Sort or anything. I will have to think of a more general solution.

To create the Custom Field, go to Preferences-File List-Column Mappings and Custom Fields-Configure. Define a custom field as in the attached image.

There are sample Custom Edit Panels on the Resource page. You can create them by right clicking on any Editing Panel preset button (Info, Artwork, etc.) and by selecting the Edit Custom Panels menu item.

2MR2PostNovember 10, 2017, 21:38
Administrator

Sorry....don't forget to:

Go to Preferences-FLAC Mappings and remove the mapping for Sort Album Artist.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.