Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Where can I find Identifier and Feed tags for Podcasts in Yate
myhairlooksflatPostJuly 4, 2018, 06:10
March 24, 2016, 09:38
Normal topicWhere can I find Identifier and Feed tags for Podcasts in Yate

Hi!
Could anybody help me convert these instructions for ID3 Editor to Yate? I am trying to make itunes sort my manually added podcasts but I can't find the IDENTIFIER and FEED tags in Yate when trying to follow these instructions that were written for ID3 Editor.

Q: My podcasts are in different folders instead of all being in the same folder. How do I group them back together?

1. To make all your podcasts show up in the same folder, the IDENTIFIER and FEED tags need to match for all podcasts.

2. Open ID3 Editor and open all of the podcasts you want to group in iTunes under one folder. (Remember to open the files from within the iTunes Music > Podcasts folder and not from your desktop or Documents folder where you may have stored originals downloaded from the podcast's website.)

3. For each mp3 file opened in ID3 Editor, switch from the Standard tab to the PODCASTS tab.

4. If you have a podcast that shows up properly in iTunes and should be the default name/location for all the other disparate podcasts in the series, bring that file's window forward and copy the URL from its IDENTIFIER field.

5. For every other mp3 file for that podcast that you have open in ID3 Editor, PASTE that URL in to the respective IDENTIFIER field for each one.

6. From the same file you copied the Identifier URL, now copy the FEED URL.

7. For every other mp3 file for that podcast that you have open in ID3 Editor, PASTE that URL in to the respective FEED field for each one.

8. For every podcast file, make sure ENABLE PODCAST TAG is checked (in the upper left of the Podcast tab).

9. Now you have to number all the files properly. To do that, you need to be in the STANDARD tab in ID3 Editor.

10. Count up the total number of podcasts in the series you're consolidating. That TOTAL# number will go in the second TRACK field in the upper left (i.e., Track # of TOTAL#)

11. In the first TRACK field in the upper left, number your files in the order you want them to be listed (i.e., TRACK# of Total#). Also put the TRACK# in the TRACK field in the upper right (next to "Enable V1 tag").

12. Click on UPDATE in the lower left of each file to close each one with your changes saved.

13. For each of the newly-updated podcast files in your Music library, select it so that it's highlighted, go to the FILE menu, select GET INFO, and click on OK to update the information in iTunes. Once you've done this for every file, all podcasts in the series should be under one folder. (If not, make sure the ALBUM field matches exactly for each file.)

2MR2PostJuly 4, 2018, 11:55
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Where can I find Identifier and Feed tags for Podcasts in Yate

There are a few issues here. The first is the physical locations of the podcasts and the second is the display/sort in iTunes.

The physical placement is easy to fix if you wish but I'm going to assume based on your email that that is not what you are interested in.

iTunes sorts podcasts within a given 'series' by release date. This is the primary sort.

If your podcasts are not yet in iTunes, we'll have to add them. As you're concerned about the sorting I'm going to assume they are already in. I'm going to forget about linking for now.

First off make sure you have the following settings enabled in Yate:

- Preferences - File List
- Do not enforce formatting of the Year field (should be checked) (only required if you podcasts are MPEG-4 files...m4a, etc.).

- Preferences - iTunes - Auto Export
- Media Kind (should be checked). This is not mandatory but will eliminate the need to export manually to iTunes.

Set the Yate Open Mode (File menu) to: PlayList Mode, Add to the File List, Do not process Sub folders, Do not auto link to iTunes

In iTunes drag all the items in a single podcast to Yate's main File List area. You can do this with successive drags if you so desire. When all the files are in, select them all.

- On Yate's Info editing panel:
- set the Album field to the name of the podcast.
- It is a good idea to set the Genre to Podcast. This is not mandatory but iTunes seems to like it.

- on Yate's Audio editing panel:
- set the Media Type field to Podcast

- on Yate's URLs editing panel:
- set the Podcast URL field to the desired URL.

Now here's the tricky one. If your podcasts are MPEG-4 files (m4a, mp4, etc) iTunes will read the Release Date from the Year field on the Info editing panel. If the files are mp3s, iTunes reads the metadata from the Release Time field on the More Info editing panel.

If you save the files in Yate, iTunes will be updated. The files should all be grouped under the same 'Album' name. The display order depends on the effective release date metadata. That is the primary sort. It seems that iTunes uses the Track number as a secondary sort (however iTunes does not let you change the sort order based on it). In theory an empty release time should trigger the track sort.

You can make yourself a Custom podcast editing panel which groups all of the relevant fields on a single panel so that you do not have to keep changing the editing panels.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps.

2MR2PostJuly 4, 2018, 13:44
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I've added an iTunes Podcast custom editing panel to the resource web page under the Templates section.

https://2manyrobots.com/YateResources/docs/iTunesPodcast.html

myhairlooksflatPostJuly 4, 2018, 14:32
March 24, 2016, 09:38

Hey 2MR2, thanks for taking the time! I'll try your instructions and thanks for the template which will make it a lot easier,
You're correct, the location wasn't relevant as I've managed to get them to be read as podcasts in itunes. While I waited for a reply I also discovered that I could get the different podcasts to group together just by writing something in the Podcast URL field. It didn't even have to be a URL.
Thanks!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.