Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Embarrassingly simple question
jms969PostJanuary 4, 2019, 11:19
December 23, 2018, 15:42
Normal topicEmbarrassingly simple question

I have created both an album and track database.

Updating the track database works fine.

How do I update just the album database without the tracks showing up as well?

Thanks and sorry for the simple question...

2MR2PostJanuary 4, 2019, 11:58
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Embarrassingly simple question

It entirely depends on how you do the update. and what databases are open at the time.

If you do a File>Databases>Update Databases, it will attempt to update all open databases. If you do an Update Database Values from Main Window Files, from an open database's context menu, only that database will be updated.

I'm not sure what you mean by "without the tracks showing up". The Album database should not have any tracks, and the track database should not have any albums. If you mean that the track database is getting the focus and becoming the front window, then you're updating from the main window. When you do this one of the databases will become key. Update from the database and this won't happen.

jms969PostJanuary 4, 2019, 12:18

Ok so here is a bit more data.

I have two actions, one to create an Album Database and the other to create a Tracks Database, both operate as they should upon creating the databases.

Regardless if one or both are open (lets just say the Album Database is the only one open) when I update the database via either method, it add tracks to the album database not albums.

So, if I right click on the Album Database that is properly populated with only albums the note at the bottom of the pop-up menu says "This is a Track Database..."

Clearly I have something set up incorrectly...

Thanks again for the help.

jms969PostJanuary 4, 2019, 12:36

Ps. Would you like for me to send you the databases and sidecar files?

2MR2PostJanuary 4, 2019, 12:43
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I'm assuming that you've used the Create Album Database statement so there can only be one other cause. The Export Set for the Album Database should NOT contain a path to the tracks.... ie. a File Path item. This causes problems. When a database is opened, the reader has to make a determination as to whether the database is Track, Album or Standalone. This is based on the available fields. Track has the higher priority. In Album Databases, use a Folder item. If you have both a Folder and File Path column you can fix the issue by deleting the File Path column and then by selecting Make this an Album Database from the context menu. If you only have the File Path column, you'll have to fix the Export Set and rebuild.

I'll add code to notify you of the issue when building the action.

I've attached my personal Album Database Export Set as an example:

jms969PostJanuary 4, 2019, 13:47

Ding Ding Ding, give the man a cigar...

File Path was the issue...

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.