Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
BPM format?
downbeat8PostJanuary 23, 2019, 21:52
Beginner
October 5, 2014, 04:55
Normal topicBPM format?

Hi-
Is there a preference somewhere or some way to set the format for the BPM field to include two decimal places? As in 81.55 vs. 81

thanks

2MR2PostJanuary 24, 2019, 07:04
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: BPM format?

There is not. The ID3 specification denotes BPM as being an integer value. Further, MPEG-4 files store BPM as a binary integer value.

I've seen at least one application which store floating point BPM values in a non standard tag. There are also some applications which supposedly store BPM values in milliseconds (which probably breaks a lot of things).

If it's a display issue for your own reasons you could always introduce a custom field to store the data ... which could be displayed on a custom editing panel. If you are looking for interoperability with another application, I'll need more information.

2MR2PostJanuary 25, 2019, 10:10
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: BPM format?

I've found an application called MixMeister BPM Analyzer which writes the fractional values to ID3 based files. Yate could certainly (optionally) write the value this way for all file formats except MPEG-4 (m4a, mp4, etc).

While it is probable that most applications will at worst read the values as integers (Yate currently will), it is a possibility that some applications will break.

If I went ahead with this would you want a floating representation or the display to be fixed with a certain number of decimal places? ie. 123 or 123.00

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.