Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Is it possible to make a field write to 3 tags?
gorilladunkPostMarch 9, 2019, 16:37
October 8, 2015, 04:43
Normal topicIs it possible to make a field write to 3 tags?

For my sorting process/media player, I need DATE, YEAR, and ORIGINALDATE to all have the same value.

In the FLAC/OGG Mappings section, I have Year set to DATE, and Original Release Time set to ORIGINALDATE. I guess I could just map a random field I don't use to YEAR, but I was hoping there could be a way to map Year to all 3.

2MR2PostMarch 9, 2019, 17:01
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Is it possible to make a field write to 3 tags?

The FLAC/OGG mappings associate low level constructs with high level fields. You can map as many names to a field as you wish. One will be written and the others will be r/o.

If you want to map YEAR, DATE and ORIGINALDATE to the Year field you would set the following to read any of the three but to write to DATE:

YEAR and DATE have been used by various applications for Year.....however ORIGINALDATE is seldom used for the year or release date.

gorilladunkPostMarch 9, 2019, 18:04

Hey thanks for the reply, I guess what I'm asking is if it's possible to write what I put in the year field to all 3 mentioned tags. Setting it up the way you've shown there writes to the value I've selected the '1' icon for.

Since you mentioned this is strange, the reason I want this is because I keep edition/remaster year in the comments tag along with cat# and whatever other info, and the actual year the music was released in year/date. beets has a path configuration that uses "original_year" to set up folder structures, which I've figured out is based on the ORIGINALDATE tag. mpd+ncmpcpp uses DATE in it's interface to show year, and I just keep YEAR written to for whatever other software I may want to use in the future.

2MR2PostMarch 9, 2019, 18:53
Administrator

Okay...now I get it. There is no 'mapping' way to write more than one value for a field. There are a lot of good reasons for this....none of which make sense for your workflow.

I would suggest substituting a Save action for the UI based Save command. You can assign this action to a toolbar icon. Pick one mapping for the Year field and write the other two directly as UDTI's. For example assuming you map Year to YEAR:

Set User Defined Text Item 'DATE' to "\[Year]"
Set User Defined Text Item 'ACTUALDATE' to "\[Year]"
Save all files if modified

The forum mailer strips backslashes. The "backslash [Year]" sequence means 'insert the year field'.

2MR2PostMarch 9, 2019, 19:28
Administrator

Actually, multiple mappings read to the same field can be pretty ugly if they have the same value. With your three mappings, You might display Year as 2019;;;2019;;;2019

The upcoming v4.6.1 will fold identical values. Writing more than one mapping is a major change.....this is not 🙂

gorilladunkPostMarch 9, 2019, 20:37

Perfect! Yeah that does exactly what I need. Thanks, Yate always has some way to accommodate my insane needs.

Could you explain more, or link me to a reference about what you said about "2019;;;2019;;;2019"? I have a few albums that have that situation going on with AlbumArtist and I'm not sure what about my workflow has been causing it.

2MR2PostMarch 9, 2019, 20:54
Administrator

Yate permits you to store multiple values on most text fields such as Artist, Genre, etc. If you have this appearing in Album Artist in FLAC files then you have multiple low level items. You can check what's actually in the files by setting Preferences-Audio-Common-Verbose Raw Log Data and by then doing a File>Log Raw Data on a selected file.

If you're importing data from MusicBrainz and/or Discogs, it is possible that more than one album artist is specified and this is correct.

If you are not doing this intentionally it could be caused by multiple mappings. As I said, this will disappear in v4.6.1 .... if the values are identical.

gorilladunkPostMarch 9, 2019, 21:44

Ok got it, so files that have say ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST with the same values, will show up as AA;;;AA in Yate? So this is Yate specific. Good to know. Looking forward to that disappearing in the new version lol

2MR2PostMarch 13, 2019, 08:34
Administrator

I sent you a private email with a potential method of writing the additional fields. No stress, I just wanted to make sure you got it.

BTW: if you decide to go the action route, you can specify that a specific action should be run whenever you save a file. See Preferences-Actions

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.034 seconds.