Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Way To Edit "Channel Mode" Field For DSF Files?
tradclimberPostJuly 18, 2019, 22:39
July 19, 2019, 02:30
Normal topicWay To Edit "Channel Mode" Field For DSF Files?

Thank you for taking time to read this post.

We have a number of MoFi SACD Monorail releases that when ripped with SACDExtractGUI result in a DSF file with "Channel Type" and Channel Num" tags = 2...Stereo.

We have literally tried most all of the available OS X audio file metadata / tag editors and none of them have an interface for changing the 2s to 1s.

Reason for this request is when these files are imported into Roon, the release shows as "Stereo" rather than "Mono".

If you know of a pragmatic way to change these tags, we would be most grateful if you would share your knowledge and experience.

2MR2PostJuly 18, 2019, 23:04
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Way To Edit "Channel Mode" Field For DSF Files?

Hmm.... Channel Type and Channel Num are not soft tags but are fields in the DSD chunk at the start of the file. While it would be possible to poke any values into these locations it's hard to believe that the information is not used by the decoders in some way. Mono is most definitely supported by the DSF specification, so I assume that the ripper is messing up somehow.

You could manually change the values using HexFiend. If you'd like me to try it, email a download link for one file to support@2manyrobots.com and I'll see if it messes up.

2MR2PostJuly 18, 2019, 23:12
Administrator

I've tried it on a file of mine and it messed up as expected. However, this was a stereo file. I can't fathom it working on your file. Again, I expect that the ripper somehow encoded two channels.

tradclimberPostJuly 19, 2019, 18:30
July 19, 2019, 02:30

Thank you for replying and trying.
Yes, the Ripper is the issue at will only do Stereo and Multi-channel. Even thought the audio is Mono, it is ripping it as 2 channels and tagging the DSF files accordingly. I downloaded HexFiend just to take a look but am not sure which keyword(s) to search for.
Unfortunately, there are limited SACD ripping interfaces for OSX and the one I am using I have found to be the most feature-rich.

2MR2PostJuly 19, 2019, 18:45
Administrator

Unfortunately it's not just a tag issue. Plugging the values in the file will only ensure that it cannot be read 🙁

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.