Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Rename track titles
shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 12:29
February 8, 2020, 17:00
Normal topicRename track titles

I just can't seem to find this functionality in the user interface.

I have track titles like "01 album_name track_name" that I'd like to rename to just be "track_name".

I can do regex and I see the tester in the UI, but don't know how I would go about using it. Any pointers to docs would help. Thanks!

2MR2PostFebruary 8, 2020, 12:56
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Rename track titles

All renaming is controlled by Rename Templates which are created/modified and tested in Preferences - Rename. Once you have an appropriate Rename Template you can use it from File>Rename, a toolbar icon or the main window's context menu.

Each template supplies a list of tokens to specify what you want. Extremely complicated scenarios can be handled by using Variables in the template and doing the rename from an action. These renaming actions can be placed on the rename menu.

Your case is trivial. However I would strongly recommend providing duplicate handling as lot's of albums have titles with the same same. eg. Intro.

You would create a template that looks something like the one in the attached image.

(Title), (IfDup) and (Dup #) are tokens. There is a space after the (IfDup) token and parenthesis surrounding the (Dup #) token.

The above template is built in and unless you've removed it can be found in Preferences-Rename. The template is called Title.

Select your files and do a File>Rename>Title and you'll get what you want 🙂

Both Preferences-Rename and the token editor have fairly extensive online help if you want more detailed information.

shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 15:17

Great! Thanks for your detailed answer, you set me on the right path.

shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 15:36

OK, I have taken a look at the template and I think I am not being clear on what I want to achieve.

I don't want to change the filename, it is OK. But the "title" metadata in the track has the title name that includes the track number and album name. For example:

01 Symphony No 1_ I Adagio molto - Allegro con brio

That is the track "Title" metadata. I want to change that to keep only the stuff after "Symphony No 1_" so that the new track name would be, for example, "Adagio molto - Allegro con brio".

Is that done using the rename template you mentioned above?

2MR2PostFebruary 8, 2020, 16:43
Administrator

Oops. You don't need rename templates for that. You can do it easily in the Multi Field Editor (MFE).

Load your files and select them. Click on the function button (green/red) to the left of the Title field and choose Multi Field Editor... That will open the MFE and pre-select the Title field. Choose Find & Remove from the list of functions. Configure the options as in the attached image. Note that the pattern is - space. The function does not automatically remove space remnants as that is not always desirable. The Trim function in the MFE is used to shed spaces.

You can do the same with a one line action using the Find & Remove statement.

shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 16:54

Yes! Getting closer! 😀

Is there a way to use regular expression there? For instance, can I use something like

^.*?Symphony No \d+ - [IV]+ (.*)$

The group (.*) would be my track name I want to be the replacement name.

shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 16:55

I may have found the answer- under "Replace" it allows regex, I'll play with it 🙂

2MR2PostFebruary 8, 2020, 17:04
Administrator

Yep. You can insert RegEx sequences from the context menu while in the Replace field. You can also use the Preview button to display the Regular Expression tester window where if you hit Save the expression will be placed back into the MFE.

shhQuietPostFebruary 8, 2020, 17:04

Perfect! I used this:

[0-9]+ Symphony No [0-9]_ (.*)

With replacement text:

$1

and it did exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for your help, Yate is awesomely powerful 😯

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.