Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
AAC and MP3 credits tags
UKenGBPostApril 30, 2020, 06:16
Advanced
April 30, 2020, 09:36
Normal topicAAC and MP3 credits tags

New to Yate. Only just discovered it after working with iTunes since before Apple bought the original and renamed it to iTunes. But with iTunes now failing to write tag data reliably to the files, it's made a mess of my collection and so I've had to look for something else with which to (accurately and reliably) tag files. Yate looks like exactly what I want, but still unclear about some aspects of the above tags in different file types.

The 'credits' type tags (Involved People and Musician Credits) are not something I've previously looked into. Are these tags fully implemented in MP3 (ID3v2.3 and 2.4) and also AAC files? What about FLAC and/or ALAC?

So if I am using Yate to work on a selection of files of these different types, are those tags always written to the files, i.e. all file types? Or do some of the file types NOT support those tags and in which case, are they then simply lost, or in those cases does Yate store the data in other tags?

2MR2PostApril 30, 2020, 09:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: AAC and MP3 credits tags

Yate's tag model is based on the ID3 specification. There is very little in the spec that is not supported. If you're interested in what we do not support in the ID3 specification. there is a help topic called Fields, Frames and Atoms on Yate's main help page.

All metadata in Yate is saved to the files regardless of the audio file format. There are some exceptions where the information makes no sense for the format. For example Relative Volume, video metadata in files which do not have video and Identification (dirty out of bounds field in m4a files), etc. If you do a Help>Quick Reference>Tag Mapping table you will see the default mappings for all supported metadata. Empty columns imply not supported.

All textual metadata is supported across the board. Certainly the credits tags are supported everywhere.

Some tags will simply lost (for example Identification). However you cannot see those tags when editing unless you have a supported file selected. Go to the Privacy editing panel. Identification and AAC Kind (the iTunes value) will only be displayed if an m4a file is selected. If you have an m4a and mp3 file selected you will see the values and they will be tossed for the mp3 file. This is all typically moot as if you have a look at the tag chart, very little is not supported everywhere.

UKenGBPostApril 30, 2020, 10:54
Advanced
April 30, 2020, 09:36

Well, can I congratulate you (as the developer, yes?) for 2 things. First of all, for Yate itself. Not yet paid, but will be doing so as it is looking like the most comprehensive tagger I have ever come across. With great features I never even knew I needed. 🙂

Not only that but also your quick response on the support forums. Thank you Professor Farnsworth.

2MR2PostApril 30, 2020, 10:57
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Yes I'm the developer. Not too many robots at 2ManyRobots 🙂 Many thanks.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.