Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Request: Get Genres (and other metadata) from Last FM
AnimalplaysdrumsPostAugust 4, 2020, 17:56
August 4, 2020, 20:50
Normal topicRequest: Get Genres (and other metadata) from Last FM

I would like to request the ability to get genres from last FM, so that they are more consistent across my library. If there is other metadata there that can be used, then that too. Thanks!

2MR2PostAugust 4, 2020, 19:11
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Request: Get Genres (and other metadata) from Last FM

As far as I can tell the last.fm api does not return genres. You can request 'tags' I guess which might be construed to be genres.

Reading the documentation last.fm reserves the right to revenue share with any application which uses the api. At $20 for life we cannot revenue share.

Also, the api takes MusicBrainz IDs as target parameters. I'm not sure what extra metadata they would add if they're pulling metadata from MusicBrainz.

I'll look into it at more depth.

2MR2PostAugust 4, 2020, 21:12
Administrator

I've played with the API a little and I'm trying to determine what you could use as a genre. Using one of their 'sample albums' Radiohead The Bends, I'm getting the following tags back when getting album information:

albums I own ... which is not on my account
favorite albums
alternative rock
radiohead
rock

If I look up the album on MusicBrainz I get a genre of 'rock' and by automatically following the Discogs ID I can also get 'Rock, Alternative Rock, Indie Rock'

Since their tags can be any name, if I extracted them as a genre you would get the entire above list. Is this what you're after?

In the Album return I get:

album name
artist name
track names
track positions (rank)
artwork links
the above tags
wiki text

also listener and play counts.

Comments?

AnimalplaysdrumsPostAugust 5, 2020, 18:58
August 4, 2020, 20:50

Hi,
Thanks for looking into this, but I guess it was not what I though it would be. If it gets its information from MusicBrainz, but MusicBrainz does not have the info for an album then it does not good.

Thanks again!

2MR2PostAugust 5, 2020, 19:29
Administrator

I think that last.fm's tags are user supplied. I will look into it some more. There will definitely have to be an 'ignore list' as lots of their tags cannot really be interpreted as genres.

Preferences - MusicBrainz has options to aggressively look for the Discogs release ID. Typically if a Discogs Release ID can be found, there will be a genre in the associated release.

2MR2PostAugust 6, 2020, 13:24
Administrator

Follow up: I've reached out to last.fm asking for approval. If I get the go ahead it's trivial to implement.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.