Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Loading a csv as a Query Database
YondersPostSeptember 13, 2020, 13:40
September 11, 2020, 17:47
Normal topicLoading a csv as a Query Database

I have many FLAC files I have purchased that have no tags. There is not enough information in the filenames to parse the filenames to create tag info.

I do have spreadsheets that can produce csv files with the basic track tag info I need. What I want to do is to associate a row in the CSV with a file (track) and ask that the tags be created. Worst case, I drag each file onto the proper row, Picard style. Best case, I write a snappy action to match the FLAC files with the appropriate row.

I can't get very far. I understand the concept of a sidecar file to map csv column headers to Yate fields. I have created many kinds of Export sets, with carefully matched header names. I never get a sidecar plist linked to a csv database.

Any help anyone can provide is appreciated.

2MR2PostSeptember 13, 2020, 13:43
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Loading a csv as a Query Database

Can you send us a copy of the CSV file to support@2manyrobots.com. We'll have a look.

YondersPostSeptember 13, 2020, 14:17

Certainly. Maybe I have a more basic issue. As a test I tagged a few files. I go to Preferences/Export Sets pick "Export as export set" that has matched headers and fields. I hit the arrow and all it produces is a plist.

2MR2PostSeptember 13, 2020, 14:31
Administrator

You don't want to export as an Export Set. You want to export as a Sidecar file and put it in the same folder (same name) as the CSV file.

A good way to start is to import the Export Set from the CSV file and then to edit the field types. Do this before you export it as a sidecar file. The steps are:

- Create a new Export set importing from the database
- Modify the field types
- Export the set as a sidecar file.

If the CSV file contains a path to the files it is all trivial. Basically the database will become a Track database and you can do the import without writing an action. You do this from the Actions menu item Apply Track Database Metadata Items.

If the CSV file does not contain a path to the files an action has to be written to manually associate the files and to import the desired data. This is easiest done by opening the db as a Query Database.

Another alternative, if the association is simple, is to have a small action populate the paths as a column and then to save the DB (or a copy). Once this is done you can do the import via the UI.

If you send us the DB and tell us the row to path association, we can help out. Without seeing the DB I do not know what is required. For example I don't know how many folders are represented in the DB and what filename/path column is available.

YondersPostSeptember 13, 2020, 15:57

I tried to follow all the steps as a test. I ran Apply Track Database Metadata Items. I get this message:

"The plist file is not a Yate Track Database"

Are there more headers I need to populate?

2MR2PostSeptember 13, 2020, 16:17
Administrator

I sent you a sample Export set, a created sidecar file and a sample action. This gives you two methods to play with. A UI menu based method and an action based method.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.