Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Audirvana template; help, please
MarkSealeyPostOctober 20, 2020, 22:01
October 18, 2020, 22:27
Normal topicAudirvana template; help, please

I'm new to Yate and struggling to understand how to implement the Audirvana mappings template.

I think I understand that the ten (2 x 5) buttons at the top of the right hand panel are Presets.

But how do I edit them; which one; and how does that integrate the Audirvana template into Yate, please?

TIA!

2MR2PostOctober 20, 2020, 22:39
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Audirvana template; help, please

The ten preset buttons can be assigned any Editing Panel by doing a right click on any of them and then selecting the panel you want to display. Some of the panels are on the Others sub menu.

... but you have to import the Audirvana mappings and template first.

Right click on any preset button and choose Edit Custom Panels...

The Custom Panel Editor will open.

From the control at the top right of the window, select any custom panel (1-10). If you've not defined any custom panels yet you might as well use 1. At the bottom right of the panel you'll see an Import/Export drop down control. Hit the control and select Import...

Select the downloaded zip file containing the custom panel. (AudirvanaMapping.zip which you downloaded from the resources web page). You'll be asked to confirm the import and then the import of the Custom Fields used by the Custom Panel. Confirm everything. When done, the displayed panel will display the Audirvana fields. Click on Save and the Custom Panel Editor will be dismissed.

Now, choose the preset button which you want associated with your new custom pane. Do a right click on it and from the context menu select whichever custom panel you populated.

MarkSealeyPostOctober 21, 2020, 01:26

Many thanks for your quick reply, @2MR2!

New to Yate, may I take a step back here, please?

Am I right in thinking that you can do one of two things with/to/on each the ten (nine of which are already populated) Tabs/Buttons at top right:

1 - single click on each Tab/Button in order to display different data in the Data Area below - although each and all area(s) of data 'contribute(s)' to the entire record

2 - right/Ctrl-click on each of the ten Tabs/Buttons in order to 'customize' that one Tab/Button… in order to determine how it is used and what it (each Tab/Button) does

If I have got that right, referring to your fourth paragraph ('From the control at…'), wouldn't using '1" overwrite what's in the first Tab/Button - 'Info'? I guess I'm unsure how to make use of the list which appears on right/Ctrl-click. What are all the 'Customs', how do they work, and what object (Tab/Button or perhaps even menu item does the Audirvana data populate?

And (assuming I'm right) I'm still unsure of how changing one of these Tabs/Buttons contributes to the fields in each record (= each track). I don't, for instance, see any change to the records (tracks) in the File List Panel in the centre.

Once I understand that, I think I'll be able to make progress.

I appreciate your patience. I'm sure that with your help, I'll get it 🙂

2MR2PostOctober 21, 2020, 08:38
Administrator

1. Yes. It's like tuning to a different channel on a car stereo from a preset button. However, the fields in an editing panel display content for all selected files. If the data is consistent you will see it otherwise Mixed is displayed.

2. Not quite. The right click provides access to selection (or association) and configuration of the 10 Custom Editing Panels. When configuring, the preset button layout is no changed. You're settings what is displayed on one of the ten custom panels. If after configuration you want to display a custom panel you have to associate it with a preset. In other words it doesn't matter which preset you clicked on when you configure. Configuration is disjoint from layout. For selection purposes, the Custom panels either appear on the context menu or in the Others submenu. If they are on the Others submenu you can flip it into the main menu. There is a How to Use this Menu item on the Others submenu. This was done so you can hide things you're not interested in.

So when you configure a custom panel, you're not overwriting anything on a preset button ... you're configuring content on a specific panel.

You won't see any change to items in the file list area as it displays a tiny subset of the available metadata. You can configure what metadata is displayed by right clicking on a column header and choosing which columns are displayed. The file list area and editing panels are simply views onto metadata. If you change Artist by inline editing a file the same data will appear on the Info panel.

When you imported the Audirvana Editing Panel you also imported the Custom Field definitions required to display the panel. Yate does not have built in fields for Soloist, Ensemble, etc. If you want more information on how these custom fields work and interact with low level audio files do a Preferences - General - Custom Fields and view the help from the (?) control. These custom fields can also be displayed in the file list area. However as there are 100 potential fields, Yate allows you to display only 10 of them. In order to see a custom field in the file list area it has to be associated with one of these 10 columns. This association is done in Preferences - General - Custom Fields.

This is more complicated to explain than to do 🙂 Personally, I've configured a Custom Panel named Main which I spend about 90% of my time on. It contains the fields I use the most.

Hopefully this all makes sense. If not ... let me know.

MarkSealeyPostOctober 21, 2020, 11:41

@2MR2

Thanks so much for your quick and patient reply - again!

Thanks, too, for your encouraging comment - which I can well believe - that this is all actually easier than it seems 🙂

When you say ‘…The right click provides access to selection (or association) and configuration of the 10 Custom Editing Panels.…’, does that mean any right/ctrl-click on any preset button isn’t specific to that button (indeed, isn’t specific to any of the ten buttons for that matter); nor that it allows any one of the ten (that is including the nine others) to be configured itself/themeslves?

And that I am only clicking on any Button (say ‘URLs’) in order to get to/reach the entire (separate) configuration process - but that everything which then follows/results isn’t tied to/associated with - in this case - the ‘URLS’ preset?

If I’m correct, then when you say, ‘…So when you configure a custom panel, you're not overwriting anything on a preset button ... you're configuring content on a specific panel.…’ suggests that the ‘Panels’ are not the same thing as the 'Buttons'.

As for what appears in the File List area, I think I understand that now, thanks. And need to dig into Preferences - General - Custom Fields.

Thanks again. I’m nearly there, I think. Maybe I’m conflating ‘Panels’ and ‘Buttons’?

2MR2PostOctober 21, 2020, 11:54
Administrator

Yep, configuration is separate from association. The hard-wired editing panels such as Info, Artwork, More Info, Audio, etc. are not configurable. All you can do is show them.

A button is one of the ten presets displayed on top of the editing panels. The panel is everything under the buttons and changes depending on which button is pressed. In the radio analogy the buttons are the radio's preset buttons. The panel changes its content much as the audio changes when you hit a radio button.

The ten Custom Panels are initially blank slates. You can select them at any time but if you do not configure them first an empty panel will be displayed. When you right click on a preset button most of the menu items apply to that button. Everything above and including Empty is configuring a single preset button. Everything on the menu below Empty, is either saving or restoring the button layout or configuring custom panels. It makes no difference which button you activate the Custom Panel Editor from ... it is configuring a panel which may or may not be displayed.

Think of the buttons as something physical while a panel is content.

MarkSealeyPostOctober 21, 2020, 18:28

I think I'm getting it… have spent some time experimenting 🙂

Would another way of putting it be this: Each of the ten preset buttons (in two rows of five at the top) can have many different sets of fields attached to it?

This is achieved by Right/Ctrl-clicking any one of these (ten) buttons and editing it using 'Edit Custom Panels' from the dropdown and populating the white/yellow/blue popup that appears with any of the available fields?

You control which Custom Layout you configure by selecting one of Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3 (etc) which are all available from the top right menu in that window?

Up to ten custom layouts can be linked to any one button?

If I'm right - and I truly appreciate your patience here (it seems to me as though Yate can do far more than I at first imagined!) - couldn't it make sense to create just one single layout which contains all the fields I want to work with; attach it to one button; and delete the rest?

2MR2PostOctober 21, 2020, 21:46
Administrator

Yate has ~100 built in text based fields. It also supports artwork and extensible items such as User Defined Text Information items which can have an unlimited number of items. It also support 100 Custom Fields where users can add their own fields which work across all audio files and are treated the same as every other field. That's how you get your Ensemble, Soloist and other fields which are not built in. This is far too many fields to display on a single panel.

To get around this issue Yate has built in editing panels which divide all the built in fields under some semblance of a logical grouping. This results in 24 editing panels. They are predefined, cannot be modified and cannot be deleted. Now you have 24 panels representing different metadata types. You also have 10 available custom panels which you can layout any way you wish with any content you wish. This represents a total of 34 editing panels. You only have 10 preset buttons. 10 buttons to access 34 display types. The preset buttons are simply a means to not having to use the menu to access your 10 most popular editing panels. Don't confuse the definition of the content displayed on the 10 custom panels with the preset buttons.

You're correct as to the location where you select a custom panel to configure. You're incorrect in saying that 10 custom layouts can be linked to any one button. 34 editing panels can be configured to any one button but an editing panel can be on only one button at a time.

This might help. From the Window menu select Show Edit Panel Picker. This displays a window with 34 buttons representing the 34 editing panels. Clicking on any button in this window will display the associated panel in the panel area. If the clicked button is currently displayed on one of the 10 preset buttons, it will be activated. If the clicked button is not currently displayed on one of the 10 preset buttons, it will be mapped the rightmost lower picker button. This may help you understand better what is happening. The Edit Panel Picker window does not add functionality, it simply gives you a view (outside the menu) to all 34 panels at once. Again, this window provides selection ... not configuration.

I've defined my own Custom Panel named Main where I've placed the fields I most commonly have to access. I still use other panels but not as much as Main. I've attached a screenshot showing one of my picker button layouts and my Main custom editing panel.

Two of the preset buttons are associated with Custom Edit panels: Main and Actions. The displayed Main editing panel contains built in fields and custom fields named: Live and Instrumental.

Hopefully this helps.

MarkSealeyPostOctober 21, 2020, 22:13

@2MR2

Thanks so much! Yes, that's really clear and I understand everything I need to 🙂

…Don't confuse the definition of the content displayed on the 10 custom panels with the preset buttons…

I think I was doing 🙁

I really appreciate that you have had so much patience in talking me through this.

I am a happy Yate user now.

MarkSealeyPostOctober 25, 2020, 18:31

I've made real progress these last few days, and successfully created a new Custom Edit Panel with almost all of the fields I want; and ordered them accordingly.

But I'm still unclear as to why I can't add, for instance, these fields (they don't appear in the edit panel - when I Ctrl/Right-click on an Unused/yellow panel), which I know to be common metatags:

Instrument
    Period

[img=http://www.markworks.com/public/Noperiod.png][/img]

Is Release Time the same as Release Date?

What is the difference between Title and Work name?

When I have saved a new custom panel, is it also saved indefinitely so that I can use it as a template for all future workflows, please?

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.