Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
iTunes Grouping to Label
phrank303PostJanuary 13, 2021, 07:59
January 5, 2021, 06:28
Normal topiciTunes Grouping to Label

Hi,
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong or if it's maybe a bug.

I manage all my music in iTunes and use the “grouping" info the Label information.

To get the info properly into the correct fields I want to copy the filled "grouping" info to the "Label" field in YATE, but my user action doesn't work…

Can somebody help please.

2MR2PostJanuary 13, 2021, 08:24
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

This looks to be the grouping issue that iTunes introduced years ago when it first introduced classical music. Using Help>Search Yate Help look for the following topic: Classical Metadata and the Grouping Field

The setting appears in Preferences-Apple Apps-General and is called Maximum Grouping-Work Name compatibility. This is an optional setting as people who do not use iTunes/Music definitely do not want to use it as it breaks the historical mapping for the Grouping field.

I don't know how you have the option set. The action statement that copies Grouping to Label works on the high level representation of the Grouping field. Regardless it will copy what you see in the Grouping field in Yate to the Label field. The copy does work.

To fix this I need to know what is coming in ... a file edited in iTunes? Are you trying to preserve Grouping data created in another application? What do you see in Yate's Grouping field before running your action and what do you see in the Label field after?

phrank303PostJanuary 13, 2021, 09:56

Thanks for the fast reply. When I open a file in YATE the (in iTunes) filled grouping info is empty – in iTunes it's still filled…

2MR2PostJanuary 13, 2021, 11:32
Administrator

If you look at the More Info editing panel, you'll see that your grouping is in the Work Name field. You can also see this in an Edit>Snapshot.

You have to choose if you want Grouping to be compatible with iTunes/Music or the rest of the world. If you want to be compatible with iTunes/Music, enable the Preferences-Apple Apps-General-Maximum Grouping-Work Name compatibility option. After setting the option, reload your files.

phrank303PostJanuary 14, 2021, 09:13

i have changed the Apple App settings in YATE, but still the grouping info is not showing up in YATE.

on the other side the "Discogs Post Import" action is working the other direction, so what's going wrong?

2MR2PostJanuary 14, 2021, 09:22
Administrator

The issue is with the data being mapped correctly from iTunes. It is possible that iTunes never wrote the metadata to the file. This plagued older versions of iTunes. Discogs is always working as it is imported to the fields and is not worried about low level mappings.

Select one file that has the issue ... before importing from Discogs. Do a View>Raw Data. The raw data contained in the file will be displayed in the Log Viewer. Save the displayed raw data (File>Save or Cmd+S). Zip up the file and send it to me at support@2manyrobots.com. Include in the email what the Grouping text should be ... it'll make it easier to search.

No need to post about this in two places. Forget the other one.

2MR2PostJanuary 14, 2021, 11:43
Administrator

...and did you check if the grouping metadata is in the Work Name field?

phrank303PostJanuary 19, 2021, 06:09

Hi, i don't know why, but i have openend another older iTunes Llibrary and it works for now. Thanks a lot for your fast support.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.03 seconds.