Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Files with existing ID3 Rating/Love into iTunes/Music
SineonlinePostFebruary 21, 2021, 07:12
April 21, 2020, 14:44
Normal topicFiles with existing ID3 Rating/Love into iTunes/Music

Hi,

My understanding is iTunes stores metadata separately from the files themselves and does not read Rating and Love tags. I've already given a Rating/Love to a lot of tracks prior to importing them to iTunes.

Is there a way of using Yate to update the iTunes/Music database, so that the current rating embedded in the file can be seen in iTunes/Music?

I'm primarily interested in iTunes, as I'm on Mojave. But I'm sure Music users will be interested (if this is still an issue?)

I've created a database and tracks all have a Yate Track ID. Thankfully, this tag is preserved by iTunes, so cross-reference should be easy. I just don't understand how to do a database query (when I try, with the database open, I get a message telling me I need to open a database).

Is what I'm ultimately trying to do (get existing rating and love status to show in iTunes) possible?

Thanks
Rob

2MR2PostFebruary 21, 2021, 09:15
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

There are many ways to do this. There are no requirements to use your database to fix the issue ... although you could. If you set Love and Rating in Yate, they are stored in the files. BTW: iTunes preserves all tags unless the tag is being modified.

The most important thing is to configure the Apple Apps, Fields of Interest, Auto Import and Auto Export panels. I suggest you read 'Working with Apple Apps - The Basics' which can be found in the documentation section of the resources page. With those panels you can write Love and Ratings to iTunes every time you save a linked file.

You can manually do an Export to Apple App at any time...but with properly set Apple App preferences you should never have to do so. You can simply link the files and do a Refresh Apple App. The refresh tells iTunes to re-read the file and forces all library only metadata. The refresh has an advantage over the export that if any standard fields were modified (Title, etc.), they will be updated as well.

I do this all the time as I never edit in iTunes and I sometimes forget to link when making changes.

SineonlinePostFebruary 25, 2021, 12:36

Thanks! Reading that gave me the confidence to explore the Apple Apps menu a bit deeper.

To get me started, I put together a User Action to add files to iTunes, save them, then export the metadata (having updated my preferences to handle Rating and Love tags). I was impressed with how smoothly the process runs!

Then I got to wondering about the best way to automate the process. Seems a good contender for Droplets.

My collection lives on an external SSD, in the directories:

- xSSD\Music\AIDK\
    - xSSD\Music\AIK\
    - xSSD\Music\Z_Converted_FLACs\

Each of these directories has an associated playlist in iTunes, which sit within a Playlist folder. The reason for these playlists being I have a lot of M4A files which were previously FLAC and recently ~70% of them corrupted.

(I think this was a result of Traktor running background activity when I shut my laptop for the night. The next morning I was faced with "Traktor has crashed" and a depressing number of "File may be corrupted or missing" messages. Anyway, I digress. Suffice it to say, it's been a £@&(*^ of a time sorting out the mess!)

I'd like to put a droplet in each of these directories and use Watched Folders to open any newly added folder with Yate.

The Droplet will then run a modified version of my "Add to Apple App, Save files, then Export to Apple App" user action. The modification I'd like to do is add files to the associated playlist.

Is this something that can be handled by Yate?

Cheers!
Rob

2MR2PostFebruary 25, 2021, 13:18
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Of course Yate can handle this 🙂

Yate supports the creation of droplets. Go to Preferences-General and click on Droplets...

You can create a droplet which always uses a specific Open Mode and runs a specified action. The droplets are always created on the desktop but you can move them wherever you wish. You can drag folders and/or audio files to the droplet.

SineonlinePostFebruary 25, 2021, 13:20

... I think I may have worked it out 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.