Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
SQLite database support
jeanralphioPostMay 18, 2021, 09:00
May 18, 2021, 12:37
Normal topicSQLite database support

Is there any chance of supporting Sqlite database instead of CSV with Yate? Many music apps like Swinsian, Plex Music store their information in Sqlite which is easy to access and easy to recover, and also better readability imo.

Having Yate support Sqlite as its database standard would allow to merge/synchronize with these libraries of Swinsian/Plex Music easier with some Python programming.

I realize it's probably a big feature request, but being able to export my metadata (and synced intervals) from Yate's database to my music library in Plex (that doesn't write metadata to files) would save me a lot of hassle. It would also give me a reason to give up Swinsian since Yate is mostly just detailed list-view of selected files instead of having to scan a music folder and import the albums whilst placing them in an artwork grid-view so it's easier to edit albums without having to manually find them in your folder structure.

Any thoughts on this?

2MR2PostMay 18, 2021, 10:00
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

It makes sense and it is a major change. CSV, TSV etc. are easy to support as they are text files and thus can be manipulated easily by action statements.

Supporting Sqlite would require a slew of new statements to be implemented. Further, finding a subset of capabilities to implement would be difficult as well. Nothing is impossible ... but it would be difficult. I'll add the request to my every lengthening idea list.

jeanralphioPostMay 18, 2021, 10:10
May 18, 2021, 12:37

There are several Python scripts that convert CSV to Sqlite databases, obviously there would still be a lot of testing whether it all gets processed properly, but it got me thinking that would it work as a simple action (initially, until you actually add the feature) by executing it as an external script?

The only thing that I'm still unsure is that exporting the CSV to a SQLite database would still be manual, afaik Yate doesn't have a CLI method to run Yate, execute specified action on specified folder and then set up a cronjob to have this done once a day?

2MR2PostMay 18, 2021, 10:17
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

All true. Yate does not use nor does it have any interface hooks to Python. However it can run any external command. If you can do the conversion of a CSV to a Sqlite db from a command line you can execute this in Yate.

However, there is no need to do it in Yate. All CSV files are stored external to Yate and can be converted in either direction without Yate doing anything. As far as scheduling this goes, there are Automator methods which can schedule things.

I've already put it on my list.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.026 seconds.