Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Sort Title/Sort Album
biosailorPostJuly 17, 2021, 04:04
July 17, 2021, 06:46
Normal topicSort Title/Sort Album

First time poster here. My apologies if this question has been already raised but I am absolutely new to Yate and to the forum here. So please, be patient with me.

There's a tab option called ,Sorting'. When I pull a file into Yate, most sorting options have an entry, except the fields ,Sort Title' and ,Sort Album'. What entries would be appropriate for the two fields? Either a short version of the album's title/album or basically the same entries as found in the album's title and album name? I don't quite understand the distinction between an Album Title/Sort Title and Album/Sort Album.

Thanks for help!

2MR2PostJuly 17, 2021, 08:15
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Most of the Sort fields are historic and date back to when players weren't smart enough to ignore things like leading articles in names. For example The Rolling Stones in old players would sort under T as opposed to R.

Most modern players and taggers have a somewhat intelligent sort methodology. There is no need to enter anything in the sort fields unless you really want the display name and sort position to differ. In your case you're setting the sort artist to last name first name ... which is okay if that's what you want. If you click on the Title or Album column headers and you're happy with the way things are sorting, there is no need to enter anything in Sort Title and/or Sort Album.

In Yate, the sorting of these fields is controlled by two settings in Preferences-File List: Use natural sorting and Use sort fields when sorting.

Use natural sorting basically says leading articles should be ignored when sorting. Use sort fields when sorting implies that the sort fields, if available, should override. More details in the Preferences-File List online help.

biosailorPostJuly 17, 2021, 09:02
July 17, 2021, 06:46

I see, thanks for the explanation!

Some audio players, like Roon for example, allow sorting albums either for an artist's first or second name. If I'd fix artist to last name first, would Roon accept this?

2MR2PostJuly 17, 2021, 09:13
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I doubt that Roon's flipping of the sort order uses tags found in the files.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.