Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Batch Keyword Remover Action + iTunes Star Ratings
xonicPostDecember 21, 2021, 05:23
April 11, 2020, 13:24
Normal topicBatch Keyword Remover Action + iTunes Star Ratings

Hello,

after a computer crash I have unfortunately lost some of my data. Some years ago I asked in the forum about a batch action that could remove certain keywords from all ID3 tags. Some kind moderator scripted this for me and posted it to the forum. Unfortunately, I can't find it anymore. Maybe it's been archived?

The second issue is a lost iTunes media library file. I was able to recover my mp3s but obviously lost all meta information that is stored in the library file, such as star ratings. I had every track rated with stars and duplicated this information within the comment field. This is my way of organising things as a DJ. I was wondering if yate would be able to read this information from the comments field and write it to the iTunes meta data. If yes, I could provide some examples of my comment field syntax for getting to a parsing strategy.

Thanks!

2MR2PostDecember 21, 2021, 10:10
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

First off sorry to hear about the crash.

I can't find the older action either. I'm sure it can easily be redone. I need a little more explicit information as to what you want it to do.

As for iTunes, Yate can set the appropriate rating values (stars) from something encoded in the Comments field. Again I need more information. This will only work if the transient linkage between iTines and Yate can be established. There is a document on the resources page in the Documentation section called Working with Apple Apps - The Basics. It explains how to insure that the linkage will work.

When you provide the details for each question please include a metadata dump of a few files displaying the comments and a few with the metadata that you want removed. There is an action on the web resources page in the Actions section called Dump Metadata. Download and install the action. Load and select the appropriate files and run the action. Email me the produced file (support@2manyrobots.com) ... it will already be zipped. I have an action which takes the dump and recreates the files (without the audio) with all metadata in place.

xonicPostDecember 21, 2021, 15:43

Hey, thanks for your compassion 🙂

Good news: I was able to find the old thread regarding the keyword removal! It's here https://2manyrobots.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=742

I have successfully set up the iTunes linkage, thanks for the hint. Here you can find the dump of a few files. https://ufile.io/lc8hty03

In the comments, among other codes I use to categorize the tracks, you can see a substring consisting of one to five lower case o letters (as in Oregon). Looks like o/oo/ooo/oooo/ooooo and corresponds to the star rating I had in my old iTunes library. so ooo would be a three star rating. What should I do to parse this information and feed it back to iTunes?

Thanks!

xonicPostDecember 21, 2021, 15:44

Hey, thanks for your compassion 🙂

Good news: I was able to find the old thread regarding the keyword removal! It's here https://2manyrobots.com/forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=742

I have successfully set up the iTunes linkage, thanks for the hint.

In the comments, among other codes I use to categorize the tracks, you can see a substring consisting of one to five lower case o letters (as in Oregon). Looks like o/oo/ooo/oooo/ooooo and corresponds to the star rating I had in my old iTunes library. so ooo would be a three star rating. What should I do to parse this information and feed it back to iTunes?

Thanks!

2MR2PostDecember 21, 2021, 16:38
Administrator

Glad you found the old action.

The zip you sent me is not the output of the Dump Metadata action. It was an export of your Yate preferences. I didn't look at it other than to check 2 Apple Apps settings before I wrote the new action. I would recommend removing the file from the download link. At this point I do not need you to send me the metadata dump.

Download and install the action at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/UpdateiTunesRatingfromComments.zip

On a per file basis it will look at the Comment field for leading lower case o's. The number of o's are counted. If there are more than 5, the value is adjusted to 5. An attempt is made to link the file to iTunes. The Rating value in the file is set to the number of o's. The file is saved if modified which will update the rating in iTunes.

If you always set your rating in Yate and it auto-exports to iTunes, there is no reason to save rating value in Comments as it is saved as Rating in the file. After running this action any old rating value in the file is overwritten by the value from Comments.

Please test before you run your entire collection through the action.

xonicPostDecember 22, 2021, 04:03

Thanks for your quick help!

I tried to import the action but couldn't as I have Yate v6.7.0.1 and it's been created using v6.7.1, a newer yet unreleased version as it seems?

Also, I was not specific enough regarding the content of the comment field. The lower case o's are usually not leading but somewhere within the string. Let me give you a few examples that should cover all cases:

3A - 2L - o - V
1A - 1M - oo
6B - 3F - ooo - V
12A - 2L/4U - oooo
7A - 5D - ooooo

The first part is the musical key (in Camelot notation) generated by a third party software

[1-12]A|B

the second part is one (e. g. 2L) or two (e. g. 1M/5D) of five moods I assign manually

1M|2L|3F|4U|5D

then come the o's for rating and last there is an optional 'V' if the track contains vocals. In very few occasions there might be a 'C' or 'I' in the end to indicate intro and closing tracks.

I put all this information into the comments field because a lot of DJ software/gear has very poor track management capabilities (rekordbox, Traktor... they all suck in terms of sorting and filtering. Especially on the mixing devices themselves when there is no computer involved during a performance)

Thanks!

2MR2PostDecember 22, 2021, 10:51
Administrator

Oops ... I did build the action with a version in test. Sorry about that.

I've rewritten the action and it works with all of your examples. I handle the case where the o slice is empty as I did not know if it was possible or not.

The new action is called: Update iTunes Rating from Comments 2

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/UpdateiTunesRatingfromComments2.zip

Give it a try.

xonicPostDecember 28, 2021, 07:35

Oh wow, thank you so much! I've recovered the iTunes ratings of thousands of tracks in less than a minute. Best Christmas present this year 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.