Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Copy Metadata from another file of same name
liamk23PostMarch 18, 2022, 08:04
April 14, 2017, 15:43
Normal topicCopy Metadata from another file of same name

Hi,

Please can you help me in achieving the below, had a look at building this myself but cant make sense of the actions which I could use to do it.

I wish to load a folder of files into yate, which are of type .m4a, where all have filenames which match that of another folder where the filetype and therefore extension is .flac. I wish to run an action on the .m4a files which strips them of all there metadata and adds all fields present in the corresponding .flac file found within another folder?

Hope that makes sense, any help appreciated. Thank you

Example, transfer of metadata from:
~/User/Downloads/FLAC/Artist - Title.flac > ~/User/Downloads/AAC/Artist - Title.m4a

2MR2PostMarch 18, 2022, 11:39
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Hi, You don't need an action to do this in Yate. I've uploaded a video to our YouTube page. You can find it at:

If for some reason you really want to do it in an action ... let us know.

liamk23PostMarch 18, 2022, 13:31

Thank you, I have used that method previously which was brilliant.
Trouble is my problem is different now, I have a lot of files in a .m4a folder (lots of single releases in .m4a) then a master folder which contains .flac versions of these files plus many others which are not in the .m4a folder. That is why a copy from top to bottom won't work for me. I kind of need it to pull in the meta based on the filename unless i am missing a trick?
Let me know what you think is the best way.
Thank you so much for your help

2MR2PostMarch 18, 2022, 14:52
Administrator

Okay ... an action is necessary. Do you want to process all files in the 'm4a' folder or only those files (m4a) which are loaded in Yate? It can be done without loading any files in the UI. Do you want me to prompt for the folder containing the FLAC files or should I hard code it?

liamk23PostMarch 19, 2022, 00:56

Hi, i would like to perform the action on files loaded in yate ui, running the action on either 1 file or multiple files which are selected un the ui. Having 1 prompt at the start of the action to obtain the flac directory would be cool, i wouldn't want this per a file. An additional thing if not too much trouble would be a log generated or prompted at the end which tells me of any files where the corresponding .flac was not found so therefore no metadata updated. Better still these files are moved to another folder titled something like 'No Matching FLAC'.
Much appreciated.

2MR2PostMarch 19, 2022, 10:26
Administrator

You can download the action at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Liamk23-CopyFLACMetadatatoM4A.zip

About three quarters of the code is the error handling. Note that I'm not copying/overwriting the Encoded By, Encoded Settings or Encoded Time fields.

Load and select some m4a files.

You'll be prompted once for the FLAC folder. If all files succeed you'll get a success prompt. If you don't want it, look at the action statements. It's documented as to how to remove the prompt.

If files cannot be matched you can Move, Move & Log, Log & Select. Move simply moves the files and removes them from the file list. Move & Log does the same and displays the files in the Log Viewer. Log & Select logs the files and changes the file selection to only the failed files.

It seems to work fine for me ... please test.

liamk23PostMarch 19, 2022, 10:37

You legend, I will test shortly and report back, thank you so much

liamk23PostMarch 19, 2022, 11:07

Wow, works amazing! Thank you so much for creating that. Sorry to be a pest but would it be much hassle to have this work for MP3 files as well as the m4a files? Its great how i can look over the action in time to understand how it works and then use that knowledge to make further actions as needed. 🙂

2MR2PostMarch 19, 2022, 13:42
Administrator

Download the action at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Liamk23-CopyFLACMetadatatoSelectedFiles.zip

In the first action I was expressly testing for an m4a filename extension. This time around I'm testing file types. I've allowed MPEG-4 (m4a, mp4, etc.) and MP3. To add additional file types as source files, edit the statement on line 5.

Have fun.

liamk23PostMarch 19, 2022, 14:21

Great! Thank you. 🙂 Donation to charity as a thank you, cheers

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.