Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Year Imported as Full Date Even When Not "Enforced"
arandorPostJune 1, 2022, 20:35
June 2, 2022, 00:26
Normal topicYear Imported as Full Date Even When Not "Enforced"

Yate is still importing the full datE (YYY-MM-DD) into the `Year` field even after I adjusted the appropriate setting.

I went to `Preferences > File List` and unchecked `Do not enforce formatting of the year field`. Then I restarted Yate. I opened some tracks and ran the MusicBrainz Wizard. When it imports the year, it is importing the full date.

I thought it may have just looked that way in Yate, but I verified it by opening the tracks in a different ID3 editor.

How can I keep it from importing the full date and instead, only import the year (YYYY)?

Thanks

2MR2PostJune 1, 2022, 21:08
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Yate always preserved the full content of the Year field as it does all fields. The preference setting only affects how the field is displayed. The setting was first introduced to replicate the iTunes display of the Year field...but even MPEG-4 files can in fact contain entire years.

If you want the Year field to be cropped to YYYY it can be done in an action (which you can run whenever you save a file). The one line action would be:

Set the Year field to "\y4"

Note the backslash character before y4. Once you save the action you can enter it in Preferences - Actions - Auto-run on Save. This action will only be run whenever a file is saved in the UI.

The reason I changed the default on the preference settings was that I've had so many people ask why Year was only displaying four digits that I got tired of explaining why 🙂

If you'd like I can put in a setting to always truncate the Year field when saving. This could be done in the next release. Let me know.

arandorPostJune 2, 2022, 17:21

Thanks for the information. I personally would prefer that there be a global setting to always treat the year as YYYY. So, yes I would be happy with any updates that could make it operate closer to that ideal.

Thanks!

2MR2PostJune 2, 2022, 19:10
Administrator

In v6.10.2 coming next week.

arandorPostJune 2, 2022, 19:49

🙂 🙂 🙂

enrAArnePostMarch 3, 2023, 10:13
March 3, 2023, 14:55

Hi - long time Yate user (since 2014) - first post 🙂

After a long time I've tried to update my Actions with the cropping function for the field "Year", as I was getting tired to crop the values manually. First - I can't really understand people asking why the YEAR field only contained four digits. This field is still named YEAR and not DATE and therefore should only contain the information "year", which is per se a four digit value. If the field would have been named Release DATE or similar, than a format YYYY-MM-DD would make sense...

Anyway, I couldn't figure out exactly which function I should use for the YYYY cropping. Can anyone please guide me to the correct function in the Action Groups? I also was looking for the mentioned global setting to treat year as YYYY, but was not able to find it. Many thanks for your help 😀

2MR2PostMarch 3, 2023, 12:24
Administrator

Hi. 2014 is pretty long. However a few go back to late 2012 🙂

In an action you can set the Year field to \y4 (backslash - y - 4). The escape sequence returns the year field cropped to YYYY.

There's also a setting in Preferences-File List-Format the Year field. If you set it to Display and save as YYYY, it will be automatically whenever you save a file.

enrAArnePostMarch 3, 2023, 13:02

Perfect - many thanks for the fast reply 😀
This will save me a few seconds with each album. Since it was not such a big issue to do the adjust manually, I have pushed the upgrade of all my Actions further and further...

enrAArnePostMarch 3, 2023, 13:04

Perfect - many thanks for the fast reply 😀
This will save me a few seconds with each album. Since it was not such a big issue to do the adjust manually, I have pushed the upgrade of all my Actions further and further...

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.047 seconds.