Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Selecting only the lines that contain certain text
SnowdogPostSeptember 22, 2022, 09:31
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Normal topicSelecting only the lines that contain certain text

I'm currently tagging a 142 disc box set.

Each line of the title starts with the surname of the composer & I'm having to select that line & then manually start to enter the forename of the composer in the "composer' box in order to get to the right point in the list to select the correct composer (or start entering a few characters of the surname & search for the text, when I can't remember the forename) as discussed in previous threads on here.

Is there a way of "shift selecting" all of the titles that begin with a given word - say "Schumann" & then do the search for the composer just once for each composer "in one hit" as it were? Could an action be written to ask me the column header & the word & only select the lines that contain what I enter?

Scrolling through 142 discs trying to shift select them manually would be a nightmare!

SnowdogPostSeptember 22, 2022, 09:34
Pro

As opposed to an action that would look for the composer in the title & then add it into the composer box, which would just have that one specific use.

Asking for a column header & text might be more flexible for other uses.

Or maybe there's already a way?? 😀

2MR2PostSeptember 22, 2022, 11:07
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Column header? What column?

Let's try this a different way.

The Title field starts with a composer's last name.
Can't count on a : as it is no always present.
You want to find a composer (from the Composer list) which ends with the extracted name ... and place it in the Composer field.

This is doable as another one off.

Questions:

If there are no matches do you want to place the extracted name in the composer field as is? Do you want to add it to the composer list?

If there is more than one match, do you want to be prompted to select the full composer name?

BTW: These small one off text based actions conceivably could be done in the Multi Field Editor, except for the fact that they're too complicated for the MFE. The next release of Yate allows you to tag an action to be associated with the MFE. The list of associated actions appear in the MFE on a new Actions tab. The actions can be directly run from the MFE and the selected fields are available to the action. I've already tried it with your Roman numeral insertion action. When run from the MFE it uses the specified fields. When run outside the MFE, it always targets the Title field.

SnowdogPostSeptember 22, 2022, 11:47
Pro

So, when I say column header, all I mean is what is written at the top of a column. Perhaps "field" is more correct?

What I'm suggesting is something that's less specific. Something that's not looking for a composer name that's in my composer list, per se.

Simply put, a way to select only the lines which fall into a given criteria. I can then go ahead & do what I need to do to them, without the ball-ache of going through & selecting them manually.

if I wanted to select all the lines that have, say, "Debussy' in, whether it be the Title field/column or the Album field/column or whatever... Or maybe some other word that I've spelled wrong that runs through some of the lines of an album set, would it not makes sense to have an Action that asks me which field (to which I can answer "title") then asks me what word (to which I can answer "Debussy") in then just selects all the lines that have that in. I can then (in this case) go ahead & enter the composer as I normally would or maybe use a "replace" function to correct whatever needs correcting.

Maybe I'm talking out the back of my head again, but it strikes me that something purely designed to do the composer thing won't be much use if I wanted to do change a different thing in future.

SnowdogPostSeptember 22, 2022, 11:51
Pro

I think that if it's an action that deals purely with selecting lines in a given criteria, then questions about names that are missing, duplicates etc. might not be relevant.

But feel free with any questions that I'm missing, of course.

2MR2PostSeptember 22, 2022, 12:01
Administrator

If you want to select files which meet certain criteria, you can use the Find functionality. Command+F

So to select all files containing Debussy ...

SnowdogPostSeptember 22, 2022, 12:07
Pro

Haha! That's perfect. I sort of covered myself with "but maybe there's already a way" then went ahead & bamboozled you with my unique brand of idiocy.

Thank you!

(Looking forward to the update. Although it will inevitably result in more foolhardy questions!)

SnowdogPostSeptember 23, 2022, 16:09
Pro

Just for a laugh on a Friday evening, I thought I'd share another amusing story with you...

After all of the above, it occurred to me that I could just click on the "Title" column header & all the artists would sort in the right order in any case.

Talk about thick as a whale omelette.

2MR2PostSeptember 23, 2022, 16:23
Administrator

Happy Friday 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.