Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
So here's a thing...
SnowdogPostMay 20, 2023, 07:28
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Normal topicSo here's a thing...

This is not exactly a Yate (or even a Mac OS) bug but it is part of the ongoing problem I'm having with my Mac & it causes something to happen in Yate that I'm hoping might give me a clue as to what's happening with the Mac.

Every time I load up an album for tagging & I go to save, having made my changes, I get the following message...

SnowdogPostMay 20, 2023, 07:31
Pro
Normal topicSo here

So, I haven't moved the file.

I used to get that message when I edited the folder name & Yate would refer to it as having been "moved" & all it was really saying is that the folder the files came from is not the same folder as they're being saved back to, but that was familiar & this is different.

These files have not been moved & the folder name has not been changed but it's causing Yate to see something.

But what?

What does this mean to you as a programmer? Does it give me any clue as to what might be the issue with my Mac?

SnowdogPostMay 20, 2023, 07:36
Pro
Normal topicSo here

Specific problems I'm having (now that I've solved the issue of the hard drive not mounting) is that, when I go to load artwork (using the action you wrote that takes me back to the file location & not to the last place I looked) I get a "loading" message & it can take 30-40 seconds to finally draw up the file list for me to choose from.

Everything else, from loading to saving continues to work as normal.

(I also have a problem with Photoshop, where it says the file cannot be found, when I go to open a file. I dismiss the box & open it a second time & it opens as normal. Another one is when I right click on a web image to save it to my desktop & again have to wait for ages before the context menu comes up. These are nothing to do with Yate, of course, but I suspect the root cause is connected. I've been in touch with Apple & I will go back to them shortly to continue to troubleshoot this issue, but I was curious if my screenshot meant anything to you.)

2MR2PostMay 21, 2023, 07:18
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicSo here

Post 1 & 2: The mount point is changing. I'm not sure how this is happening, if you have a mounting application or the system is changing the mount point. Yate gets a file's location when it is first loaded and puts a tracker on the file. Before saving a file, the tracker is used to verify that the saved location is correct. In this case the /Volumes/Macintosh HD is not being returned by the system. I've never seen this before. It would be interesting to see if the file could be saved at either location.

Post 3: The panel which appears to select files is a system process and actually lives outside of Yate and Photoshop, etc. If that panel is taking you to incorrect locations it's possible that the OS has been corrupted. Right clicking on the desktop to get the Open With menu is the Launch Services process/database and that also might be corrupted.

Not good news on any front. The OS can be reloaded in a non destructive way but the mount issue is very strange.

2MR2PostMay 22, 2023, 15:19
Administrator
Normal topicSo here

I've had a thought ... strange as it may sound. Are you using a mount utility to keep the share mounted? The Mac will mount the external share in /Volumes. Some mount utilities by default mount in User. If for some reason, the connection is lost and the mount utility remounts in a different location ... the problem could occur. Yate reopens the file before saving. I use AutoMounter and when I first got it the shares were mounted under User. I purchased an add-on which allowed the shares to be mounted under /Volumes. At this point it might be standard.

SnowdogPostJuly 13, 2023, 05:00
Pro
Normal topicSo here

This went away for a while but now it's back.

I had a number of issues with my Mac - largely caused by upgrading to Ventura, by which I mean there were certain things that suddenly didn't work under Ventura.

I thought I'd discovered the key issue, but something else cropped up.

I have a ticket with Apple support, so I'm hoping to pick it up with them regarding the ongoing issues. I shall pass on your comments above, in the hope that someone there can help.

One of the other issues I have is that whenever I go to add cover art, I have to wait a full 30 seconds or more for the window to draw up the contents of the folder before I can choose the image file.

It never used to do that before Ventura. If I run tests on the external hard drive, it shows excellent results, so I know it's not that.

Something (that may or may not correspond to the aforementioned mount point issue) seems to be adding an unwanted layer of "slowing down juice" to the proceedings in very specific situations.

Another is that when I right click on an image file on a web page, it takes 15, 30 sometimes 40 seconds to show me the context menu so that I can choose "save as". Saving is instantaneous, as are most things. It's just these few very specific things that take ages.

I'm hoping there'll be enough clues there for Apple to sort me out.

2MR2PostJuly 13, 2023, 07:08
Administrator
Normal topicSo here

It could be any number of things. Yesterday I spend a few hours on Yosemite (10.10) and I couldn't believe how snappy it was ... especially the network layer. The Mac has very limited RAM, no SSD and the CPU is about 1/10th the speed of my Mac Studio running Ventura.

I would lead with the web page context menu issue.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.02 seconds.