Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
Move characters at the end to the beginning
SnowdogPostJune 8, 2023, 04:32
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Hot topicMove characters at the end to the beginning

What would be the best way for me to tell Yate: "Remove X characters from the end & put them at the beginning, followed by a comma & a space" where X is a manually specified number that may vary from use to use?

That is to say that it could be any number of characters but every time I use it, I would make sure it was the same number of characters for that particular use.

So, in the screenshot below it would be seven characters.

(Like all my niche requests, it doesn't come up very often, but it would be handy if this is something tucked away in Yate that I could learn how to call upon when needed. I could even add the comma-space afterwards using Remove & Insert, as that may also vary (colon-space, etc.)

2MR2PostJune 8, 2023, 07:27
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

From the end of what? The Column headers are not in the screenshot. Title? Filename? Any field?

2MR2PostJune 8, 2023, 14:36
Administrator

Download https://2manyrobots.com/actions/Move-Text-from-End-of-a-Field-to-Start.zip

The action Move Text from the End of a Field to Start. Should do what you want.

The first time you run the action it will ask you for a length and a separator. They will be repeated each time the action is run. If you start the action with the Option key down, you will be given the opportunity to reconfigure the settings.

The action can be run from the Multi Field Editor, from a field's function button or standalone. When run standalone, the field is always Title.

If you wanted this to work on the filename ... it will not work and will require changes.

SnowdogPostJune 9, 2023, 18:56
Pro

Sorry, I forgot to subscribe & didn't get any notifications.

Thanks. I'll get that installed & report back. 🙂

SnowdogPostJune 9, 2023, 19:07
Pro

Okay, so firstly would I be right in assuming that you assumed we were talking about the Title field & that's the field it works with, or is it working on the Title field because it's the field selected in the Multi-Field Editor?

Here's what happened. I ran it, typed in the characters and it went from the first screenshot to the second. That is, it successfully moved the text but made the rest of the title the same in all of them as is in the first selected track.

I did an undo & tried to do it again to check my work, using the alt key, & I just got the little menu at the bottom of screenshot 3. When I clicked on the action name in that little pop-up, it just did the same as in screenshot 2.

2MR2PostJune 9, 2023, 23:39
Administrator

Sorry ... getting lazy. I guess I only tested with one file. I've updated the action at the same link to v1.1.

The 'little menu' is because you're starting the action from the Action Manager and Option is used for two meanings. Click on the name of the action in the 'little menu' while still holding down the Option key and you will be prompted for the settings again. If you wish I can change the 'ask again' key to Shift or Control and you won't get the 'little menu'.

Hopefully I got it correct this time around.

2MR2PostJune 10, 2023, 03:54
Administrator

This time I uploaded it built for v6.16. 🙁 Fixed at the same link. Sorry

SnowdogPostJune 10, 2023, 04:59
Pro

No probs. I only just got to this. Much appreciated, as always.

SnowdogPostJune 10, 2023, 05:28
Pro

That seems to work perfectly, except that the option key on the 'little menu' doesn't always seem to bring up the settings.

Let me try it again when I get to the next batch & make sure it's not me.

In the mean-time, I have something super-niche which may not be possible. I'll go ask it in a new thread & see what you think.

SnowdogPostJune 10, 2023, 06:06
Pro

Also, I forgot to check, is it set to work on Title only or does it look at what's selected in the multi-field editor (or something else)?

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.021 seconds.