Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Appending Text
SnowdogPostJune 17, 2023, 07:59
Pro
March 15, 2022, 17:12
Normal topicAppending Text

I'd like to append the text in the Set box (see screenshot) to the existing text in the Title column.

As you can see, I tried it & it just repeated the first line.

What do I need to do to make that work?

(As you know, I have a Generic Text Importer action that you wrote for me but that just replaces what's in the Title column with what's in the clipboard.)

Is there a trick to this?

Cheers! 🙂

SnowdogPostJune 17, 2023, 08:03
Pro

Here's what I started out with...

(Obviously, I could just paste the repeated part into my text file & do the numbering with the action you just wrote for me, but I'm wondering if there's a simple way to do this?)

2MR2PostJune 17, 2023, 08:47
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Actually you appended all the text you entered to every file. You'll probably noticed that after doing it the text in the Title fields became blue. (Invalid characters in this case newline). The Set/Append/Prepend function uses all the text on each file.

Okay, you more than likely need a small action to call the Generic Text Importer and manipulate the result. I'll have a look.

SnowdogPostJune 17, 2023, 09:05
Pro

I have 2 generic text importers.

One works beautifully to paste in whatever's in the clipboard.

The other doesn't appear to do anything.

In the following screenshot, the one called "main" in the fly-out menu, is the one that doesn't seem to do anything.

The one below it is the one that I normally use, but it doesn't give any options to append or prepend.

2MR2PostJune 17, 2023, 10:33
Administrator

I don't know how you ended up with an action and a folder. Somehow the Generic Text Importer action is not in the folder where it should be. The (main) action is a helper and can't be directly called. You must have received a pre-release as the (main) action should have grey circle for its icon.

Regardless, delete the Generic Text Importer action and the folder of the same name. I've tweaked the Generic Text Importer action so that it can be called by others. After deleting the above, download and install the file at:

https://2manyrobots.com/actions/GenericTextImporter.zip

This is a pre-release of an updated version which will be made generally available with Yate v6.16.

The downloaded actions will be v5.9.

Inside the folder there will be a new action called Sample Caller: Append Imported Text to Title. This is a small action which calls Generic Text Importer to do the work. You should run the Sample Caller: Append Imported Text to Title action.

When v6.16 is updated the action bundle will be updated to v6.0. At that time you can get the updated version by doing a Yate>Check for Action Updates

2MR2PostJune 17, 2023, 10:41
Administrator

I uploaded a version for Yate 6.16 by mistake. I've fixed the issue and cleared the cache on my end.

SnowdogPostJune 19, 2023, 02:39
Pro

Fantastic! Thanks. 🙂

SnowdogPostJune 19, 2023, 05:23
Pro

And it works perfectly! (Of course it does.)

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.019 seconds.