Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Sync preferences across computers with dropbox?
timpPostApril 9, 2014, 19:38
Advanced
March 16, 2014, 13:32
Normal topicSync preferences across computers with dropbox?

I will sometimes tag from the road when I travel, using my laptop. However, my desktop is my main machine. Rather than export settings all the time, or somehow setting up a VPN (which I hear is notoriously difficult on OSX), could I just store my Yate preferences in a dropbox folder instead of my desktop machine?

Would that work? I don't see an option to tell Yate where to store its preferences though...

2MR2PostApril 10, 2014, 00:02
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Sync preferences across computers with dropbox?

Support for this was introduced in v2.5.4 🙂

I use the feature as I'm always switching between my desktop and laptop.

The main help page has a link to a topic called 'Syncing Preferences Between Multiple Copies of Yate'.

Basically at the bottom of Preferences-General you'll see an 'Auto import/export preferences file' option. On whichever Mac you feel has the 'correct' settings, enable the option and choose a filename somewhere in your Dropbox folder via the Choose button. You may be prompted to import the settings. Do not import the settings while configuring the first Mac.

On your second Mac, enable the option and specify the same file/location. This time you should import the data. At this point your two Macs will have the same preference data.

From now on whenever Yate starts it will load the contents of the preferences file (unless last updated on that Mac).

Whenever Yate terminates, the preference file will automatically be written.

If you want to exclude certain preference types you can do so via the Configure button. You should configure the same values on both Macs.

I suggest reading the help as there are a couple of fine points.

timpPostApril 11, 2014, 02:23
Advanced
March 16, 2014, 13:32
Normal topicRe: Sync preferences across computers with dropbox?

Fantastic as always! Sorry I missed finding this on my own.

Hope you had (or are still having) a great vacation!!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.014 seconds.