Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Cannot save manually-set POPM rating integer in MP3 file.
currynavelPostJune 6, 2014, 12:43
June 6, 2014, 16:39
Normal topicCannot save manually-set POPM rating integer in MP3 file.

issue: Cannot save manually-set POPM rating integer in MP3 file.

yate version: 2.7.5.1 (2125)

expected behavior: Manually setting a rating value of 64 and saving the MP3 file will save the actual integer (i.e. 64) as the rating value.

actual behavior: A file with a manually-set rating value of 64 will be saved as having a rating value of 50. Files are saved with Yate's idea of the minimum value for a rating range (e.g. 50 for 2-star, 114 for 3-star).

steps to reproduce: 1. Ensure ID3 rating mapping preference is set to Full, 2. Set a MP3 file's rating to 64 via the Rating advanced editor, 3. Save the changed file and observe the new rating value.

rationale for fixing: Different players have different break-points for star ratings. A rating of 50 may be a two-star in one player and a one-star in another. Also, the rating advanced editor interface leads a user to believe that a rating integer can be manually-set and persisted.

2MR2PostJune 6, 2014, 13:33
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Cannot save manually-set POPM rating integer in MP3 file.

Hi,

This is a bug and not 'by design'. When outputting the rating to an mp3 file I am doing a conversion to whatever rating method you have set in preferences. This conversion should not be done when outputting as 'full' (ie. 0-255). The conversion process normalizes the values which in this case accounts for the value changing.

I'll get a patch out ASAP.

BTW if your desired system uses a five star system I could build in the ranges as a new setting. That would let the graphical display be correct and might remove the need for you to manually set the numbers.

currynavelPostJune 6, 2014, 14:05

Cool. A setting that used the following ratings would work well for my use case:

0 = no stars
29 = one star
81 = two stars
140 = three stars
193 = four stars
255 = five stars

Essentially, using the medians of the middle current "full" ranges, while using the minimum value for 0 stars and the maximum value for 5 stars.
This maximizes the compatibility with other players using the full POPM rating domain, but having different range break-points.

currynavelPostJune 6, 2014, 14:15

That said, it's more important to me that manually-set integer values get saved as entered. One of my players sets star-rating based on the value's percentage of the whole (i.e. x/256 > .40 = 2-stars), and that wouldn't work with the scheme I mentioned in my last post.

2MR2PostJune 6, 2014, 14:42
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Okay then 🙂

v2.7.5.2 posted. Do a Check for Updates.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.025 seconds.