Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
How to rename and move files and folders to my archive?
audionomPostSeptember 22, 2014, 09:05
September 21, 2014, 09:34
Normal topicHow to rename and move files and folders to my archive?

Hi! First of all, thanks for this great tool! When it comes to tagging it’s the best app i have ever tried! Previously i’ve always renamed and organized my folders manually, but it seems like Yate could help me automate this as well!

My folder structure looks like this: (img)
…/Music/Archive/(Alphabet)/(Album Artist)/(Year) - (Album)/❨Disc❩❨Track Pad2❩·-·❨Title❩
…/Music/Archive/A/Aphex Twin/2014 - Syro/103 - Produk 29.mp3

And i download all new music into this folder: (img)
…/Music/Unsorted/downloaded album-folder name/downloaded mp3name.mp3
…/Music/Unsorted/Aphex_Twin-Syro-WARPCDD247-WEB-2014/03-Aphex_Twin-Produk_29.mp3

I’ve managed to rename the files the way i like it, and i’ve also managed to rename the parent folder to (year) - (album) by tweaking the existing “File & folder” rename action. However i can’t figure out how to create a “alphabet"-variable based on the first Album Artist letter when i move the files from "Unsorted" to my Archive.

2MR2PostSeptember 22, 2014, 13:43
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: How to rename and move files and folders to my archive?

Hi there. I thought that you had me for a moment. The Compare Text Test only has equality and containment tests so I though I'd have to do a patch for you.....but I figured out a solution 🙂

You can find an action which should do what you want at:

http://2manyrobots.com/actions/MoveFilesToAlpha.zip

Unzip the file and import it via Yate>Import Preferences.

You'll end up with an action called 'Files to Alpha' and a rename template named 'Year - Album/diskTrackP2 - Title'.

The action when loaded may look somewhat daunting but it has lots of Comments and a bunch of sanity checks at the start.

Some points:

1) The action was built with v3.0 which is hot off the press. If you have not yet updated to v3.0 (released about an hour ago), you will have to do so. Yate>Check for Updates.
2) The action as imported is set to select all open files. You can change this in the Action Manager if you wish.
3) There are a few options in the action which are initially disabled. Look for the Comment which starts with READ THIS!!!!!!!!
4) After moving the files, I move any jpg, jpeg and pdf files which might be in the initial folder. After that if the initial folder is empty, I delete it. You can add other file types to be moved if you wish.

One option is to use natural sorting when placing the Album Artist folders into the 'alpha' folders. For example place 'The Band' in 'B' as opposed to 'T'. Yate's initial Natural Sort Exception set will trigger on 'a', 'an' and 'the'. You can modify this in preferences if you wish.

Another option is to represent the album folder for 'The Band' as 'Band, The'.

Last but not least is an option to represent the album folder for 'The Band' as 'Band'.

You can pick and choose which options you want by enabling the disabled statements in the action. This is all documented in the action.

The Rename template I supplied is more than likely identical to yours. You can change the Move statement to use your template if you wish and then delete mine.

Let me know if I got it right. Enjoy!

audionomPostSeptember 22, 2014, 20:12
September 21, 2014, 09:34
Normal topicRe: How to rename and move files and folders to my archive?

Thanks, works like a charm! I totally forgot the "the" problem, but seems like you solved that as well!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.015 seconds.