Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
WavPack tagging support
rovoPostOctober 10, 2014, 03:48
August 16, 2014, 07:34
Normal topicWavPack tagging support

Hi, would it be possible to add support for the WavPack audio format? It has some clear advantages over Flac (better compression, 32bit float support)

Thanks!

Ron.

angangPostOctober 10, 2014, 07:23
Beginner
August 23, 2013, 03:38
Normal topicRe: WavPack tagging support

Hi, would it be possible to also add ape format ?

Thanks
Ang

2MR2PostOctober 10, 2014, 13:23
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Wow two audio format requests in a single day. Anyone else out there wanting these formats?

There is a double whammy for us in supporting each of these formats. First we need to support the audio formats themselves so that we can correctly write the files and extract the audio specific information. Secondly both these formats use APE tags which we do not currently support. Adding a new low level tag format means shoehorning in all of the tag fields that we currently support.

WavPack also supports ID3V1 but that is pretty useless for any serious tagging. The good news is that once APE tag support is done the second format will be far easier.

I'll put the requests on 'the list'. It's a long list 🙂 Currently these are the first and only requests for these two formats.

rovoPostOctober 13, 2014, 09:29

Thanks!

rovoPostDecember 9, 2015, 03:32

Seeing as no support for WavPack has been added I wish to repeat my request. It would make my life so much easier. PLEASE!

Ron

2MR2PostDecember 9, 2015, 07:30
Administrator

I know it doesn't help you, but it's still on my list.

The issue is that we've received a total of (and I'll be generous) two requests for WAVPACK and APE support.

Adding a new audio container format is typically not a big deal. In this case the main issue is that WAVPACK only supports ID3V1 and APEV2 tags. ID3V1 is not sufficient for serious tagging and Yate does not support APEV2. Adding support for a new tag format is a lot of work as it has to be normalized to the Yate base level which is pretty much the entire ID3V2.4 specification.

We don't use a third party tagging library. We wrote and maintain our own. It comes down to the fact that we have to implement the low level tag support and weigh the time to implement against other feature requests.

It will more than likely happen, although not sooner than later. v3.10 will be out for preview shortly. Once that happens I'll take another look to revisit what is involved.

rovoPostDecember 11, 2015, 10:34

I am disappointed of course, but hopeful you will implement it at a future date. Having been a software developer myself I know how few people actually take he time to request a new feature but that at the same time, many might use that particular feature if it were offered. Supply creates its own demand.

Thank you for looking into it again.

Ron.

2MR2PostJanuary 7, 2019, 12:41
Administrator

It only took me a little over three years but support for WavPack and APE files is coming in v4.6. Anyone interested in testing, please contact support@2manyrobots.com and let us know.

mike_rangerPostNovember 26, 2020, 08:01
November 26, 2020, 12:53

I would like to follow-up regarding WavPack.
WavPack offers a very convenient way to compress the big dsf-files (DSD). I currently tag all my dsf-files in Yate.
Now that WavPack offers lossless compression of DSD (dsf-files) to .wv files, they basically shrink to half the size.
What is interesting now is the fact although in the conversion / compression from dsf to wv, the tags were also transferred, Yate does not seem to recognise compressed DSD correctly.
I post this here since I am not sure if this is a missing feature or a bug.
Thanks for checking.

mike_rangerPostNovember 26, 2020, 08:02
November 26, 2020, 12:53

I would like to follow-up regarding WavPack.
WavPack offers a very convenient way to compress the big dsf-files (DSD). I currently tag all my dsf-files in Yate.
Now that WavPack offers lossless compression of DSD (dsf-files) to .wv files, they basically shrink to half the size.
What is interesting now is the fact although in the conversion / compression from dsf to wv, the tags were also transferred, Yate does not seem to recognise compressed DSD correctly.
I post this here since I am not sure if this is a missing feature or a bug.
Thanks for checking.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.024 seconds.