Welcome Guest

Pages: 1 2
AIFF tags not read properly
miguelitoPostOctober 26, 2014, 10:27
October 26, 2014, 13:55
Normal topicAIFF tags not read properly

I have an odd issue: JRiver Media Center on mac (v 20.0.14) will not properly read some AIFF tags. These tags are properly read by iTunes and Audirvana.

See example files in link:
Track 01 no problem
Track 02 no dice.

http://goo.gl/0w84EA

Thx.

Miguel

2MR2PostOctober 26, 2014, 11:24
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: AIFF tags not read properly

The only difference in the two files is that the AIFF chunk for the metadata in file #2 has an odd number of bytes (18565). The AIFF spec says that when you encounter this you have to round up the chunk size to an even number of bytes when calculating the address of the next chunk. Perhaps JRiver is not properly handling this situation. I could change Yate to always write an even number of bytes but that that would be a crummy fix as lots of encoders will write odd sized chunks...as it is perfectly valid.

It may be something else entirely but if iTunes and Audirvana reads it correctly it looks like they have a bug.

There are lots of gotchas in the AIFF spec. For example if you use the contained global chunk size to process the file as opposed to the actual file size you will not be able to read about half the AIFF files out there correctly.

I've looked at the tag and it seems to be perfectly okay. If the file initially had an ID3 tag and you're changing the file it is possible that Yate's tag size will be one byte larger than the chunk size as I correctly round it up if it is odd. This should not be an error. If they are being too strict it's possible that this is causing the issue. Again, I can look at changing Yate's behaviour but if they are being that strict other files not processed by Yate will cause the same error.

Sorry for the convoluted answer.

miguelitoPostOctober 26, 2014, 12:13

Possible to add an option or an action to even out the size so that jriver doesn't get confused?

2MR2PostOctober 26, 2014, 12:14
Administrator

Already sent you a link to a test build 🙂

miguelitoPostOctober 26, 2014, 12:16

Thx!
Also having a seemingly unrelated issue with minimserver. Basically throws an error on many AIFF files. Example:

Error: unexpected end of file at offset 53014488 in file 02 - The Thrill Is Gone (with Tracy Chapman).aiff (length 53014488)

Is this an issue with tagging?

Thx.

miguelitoPostOctober 26, 2014, 12:18

Where did you send the test build link?

2MR2PostOctober 26, 2014, 12:22
Administrator

Should not be. Does iTunes open the file?

Yate has a pile of fixes to get around incorrect file length errors with AIFF files.

The file header of an AIFF file has the contained size of the file. I've found that quite often this is incorrect and Yate uses the actual file size instead of the contained file size as it seems does at least iTunes.

The fix I sent you will not change the file size or contained file size. It will however ensure that the tag size does not have a potential one byte overflow for odd sized chunks. Try a file after running through the fix. If it doesn't work send me a link and I'll see what they're complaining about.

2MR2PostOctober 26, 2014, 12:24
Administrator

The link was sent to the email address you registered with the forum. If you'd like it sent elsewhere send me an email at support@2manyrobots.com and I'll reply.

miguelitoPostOctober 26, 2014, 13:47

Yes, iTunes/Audirvana/JRiver can play the file just fine. iTunes, Audirvana, Yates, and Tag all show the proper tags.

2MR2PostOctober 26, 2014, 15:09
Administrator

I typically only put in code to patch audio files when necessary. However, I'll put in code to correct the contained global chunk size if it is found to be invalid. That may help you out with other apps which are not properly handling the invalid cases.

Pages: 1 2
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.028 seconds.