Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Comments field not importing into iTunes for some tracks
downbeat8PostDecember 5, 2014, 00:09
Beginner
October 5, 2014, 04:55
Normal topicComments field not importing into iTunes for some tracks

So weird! I've got a lil action that copies the KeySig and BPM into the comments field. Works great and imports the comments field into iTunes perfectly 98% of the time. I have a couple albums where the comments field will not update in itunes. I've tried manually changing the comments field in Yate to see if it was something weird with the action. still no comments in itunes. other fields update fine. I've tried deleting original media and re-importing into itunes and nada. I'm determined to figure it out but I'm starting to drop marbles out of my ears. Please give me a clue!

Thanks!

A-

2MR2PostDecember 5, 2014, 08:01
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Comments field not importing into iTunes for some tracks

More than likely you're getting hit with a little known iTunes-ism. I'm assuming that the files in question are tagged based on the ID3 spec. (mp3, aiff, wav).

Comments under the ID3 specification have an associated brief description and and a language designation. It is an accepted convention that the 'default' comment is the one with an empty description field. For about 99% of the applications out there, the empty description field is all that counts. iTunes however, requires that the language field is 'eng'. If the comment does not have a language field of 'eng' they assume that it is used to contain 'extra' data and is ignored. Lots of rippers and taggers use 'xxx' for the language field as it means 'machine readable' or 'don't care'. As already said iTunes doesn't like this.

Yate by default creates new comments with 'eng' however it will recognize a comment as being the default as long as the description field is empty. There are a number of things you can do:

If you load a file which has the issue, go to the Comments editing panel and you should see a language other than 'eng'. If you wish you can manually change the language.

There is also an action statement called 'Adjust Comment for iTunes' which will do it in an action.

You should also make sure that the language field in Preferences - Audio is displaying 'eng'.

.... and last but not least you can set the "Preferences - iTunes - Use strict definition of 'default' comment" option which will force Yate's definition of 'default' comment to be the same as iTunes'. This option will not automatically 'fix' old comments.

Whatever you do, if you change a comment's language to 'eng' and its description field is empty, link the file to iTunes and to a Refresh iTunes. You should see your comment 🙂

downbeat8PostDecember 6, 2014, 02:22
Beginner
October 5, 2014, 04:55

great. The action worked perfectly. Thank you. Just curious though, the only description field I see is under Artwork. Is that the one you're referring to. It was empty and the language was set to 'eng'. I'm just curious exactly what the Action did to make the comments tunes-friendly. thanks again. love the app

2MR2PostDecember 6, 2014, 07:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Glad it worked. The code simply looks for the first, if any, comment which has an empty description field and forces the language to 'eng'.

All the comments in a track can be viewed by right clicking on any of the 10 edit panel presets and selecting Comments. If you don't see Comments is will be in the Others sub-menu. You can also get there by clicking on the coloured function button to the left of the Comments field and selecting the --> Comments Panel (#) menu entry.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.016 seconds.