Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Formatting of Musician Credits and Involved People frames
eliashiebertPostJune 29, 2015, 01:35
June 29, 2015, 04:24
Normal topicFormatting of Musician Credits and Involved People frames

I'm a little confused about how to fill in the Musician Credits and Involved People frames. The popup in the application says the correct format is "role=person{,person}..." but I'm not sure how to interpret that. If there are multiple persons in one role, are the names simply separated by commas like "producer=Jimmy Jam,Terry Lewis", or is the second name supposed to be enclosed in curly brackets like "Jimmy Jam{,Terry Lewis}"?

Also, Discogs sometimes uses square brackets in its credit listings. For instance "Saxophone [Tenor]". Will the brackets create an issue? Would I be better off changing "Saxophone [Tenor]" to "Tenor Saxophone"?

Any advice on this is appreciated.

Elias Hiebert

2MR2PostJune 29, 2015, 07:10
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Formatting of Musician Credits and Involved People frames

The correct format is:
producer=Jimmy Jam,Terry Lewis.

The curly brackets are used to imply optional. The square brackets are ignored when determining (from the DIscogs data) if the role should be applied to Involved People or Musicians Credits. Yate maintains a complete internal list of the credits that Discogs documents. In this case Tenor Saxophone is documented. Technically speaking, the data should not have been entered as Saxophone [Tenor] in the first place. However, this is all personal preference. You can see and edit the complete list of Discogs credits in Preferences-Discogs-Credit mappings. If you are extracting the credits/roles from Discogs or MusicBrainz, all the data will be automatically reformatted. Square brackets are ignored but maintained. Sometimes, truly custom information is enclosed, as was intended.

This topic is dear to my heart as about a year ago I went on a rampage looking to update the Musicians Credits for my entire collection.

From the context menu for each of Musicians Credits and Involved People, (coloured circle), you can pop up a format panel for manually edited or created information. There is also an action statement called Format Credits. Personally I apply a title case to my credits but once again that is a matter of personal preference.

eliashiebertPostJune 29, 2015, 08:24
June 29, 2015, 04:24

Thank you. Very helpful.

mikesPostJuly 5, 2015, 13:30
November 7, 2014, 15:19

Followup questions:

1. To add a second role, you just put in the role=musician name after a comma?
* e.g. Bass=Bruce Foxton, Guitar=Paul Weller, Drums= Rick Buckler

2. Do these fields show up in players on the mac? If so, which ones? (I typically use Audirvana, JRiver MC, Vox & iTunes)

2MR2PostJuly 5, 2015, 13:43
Administrator

1. Nope, each line describes a single instrument to the left of the =. The data to the right of the '=' is a single artist or a list of artists separated by commas.

eg.
Bass=Bruce Foxton
Guitar=Paul Weller
Drums=Rick Buckler

sample multiple artist:
Bass=Bruce Foxton
Guitar=Paul Weller,John Doe
Drums=Rick Buckler

Note the above example could be sorted by using the function button's format option with the following settings:
Initial formatting: Correct
Source item separator: , (comma)
Result item separator: , (comma)
Sort: Both

after sorting you will have:
Bass=Bruce Foxton
Drums=Rick Buckler
Guitar=John Doe,Paul Weller

2. I do not believe that the fields show up in any players 🙁 Certainly not in Vox or iTunes. I'm not sure about Audirvana or JRiver, but I doubt it. Musicians Credits is one of many fields supported by Yate that is not supported by players.

Andy SPostMay 11, 2017, 07:55
May 11, 2017, 11:33

Hi 2MR2,
Sorry for dragging an old topic out, but maybe you can shed light on my issue regarding the auto-formatting of the Musician Credits field.

Given the following from Discogs:
Piano=Walter Bishop, Jr.

When saving the file, because of the comma used, the auto-formatting sorts as:
Piano=Jr.,Walter Bishop

Is there any way within Yate's Preferences to excludes ", Jr" from being sorted as an individual name.

For my workflow I've made myself an action to re-sort the musicians' names to my liking in order to add them to the Artist field, Within the action I completely remove the comma so that I'm left with Walter Bishop Jr.

The problem is that when obtaining the Musician Credits through the Discogs Wizard, the issue I described occurs even before I can alter the credits with my action.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2MR2PostMay 11, 2017, 08:15
Administrator

Having just spent over two months working on the Combined Credits Editor I understand your frustration. The main issue is poorly defined standards. In this case the ID3 use of a comma as a name separator. In order to maintain compatibility with millions of files using the comma there is little I can do.

In v3.16 I added an escape sequence to represent an alternate comma. (Backslash underscore). This comma (‚) is visually the same but not being numerically identical to a 'standard' comma does not trigger any detection as a field delimiter.

I could add options to the DIscogs and MusicBrainz wizards to substitute commas in artist names. I could allow replacing them with the alternate comma or simply their elimination. This would solve the issue. Any thoughts? It's a relatively easy patch.

Andy SPostMay 11, 2017, 09:10
May 11, 2017, 11:33

Hi, and thanks for the quick reply.
Adding those options sure sounds like it would do the trick.
A patch would be most welcomed.

PS: I forgot to mention how AWESOME Yate is. I've learned a lot from browsing these forums to build up some actions.
Great work!

2MR2PostMay 11, 2017, 15:33
Administrator

Both Discogs and Muscibrainz will have a new Comma Substitution setting in the next release.

The possible values are:

None
don’t do anything

Alt Comma
replace , with ‚

Smart Space
replaces commas with either nothing or a space. Basically unnecessary spaces will not be added.

All 'people' oriented metadata items are affected.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.029 seconds.