Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Handling large collections?
LappenPostDecember 29, 2015, 05:53
Beginner
November 8, 2014, 11:13
Normal topicHandling large collections?

Hi,
First of all, I love Yate...it's without question the best software for tagging and organizing your music 😀
But I do have a question regarding working with large collections.

I have a large collection of music located on my NAS, and I add new music to this collection often. For this I have a workflow semi-automated with Yate (cleaning, tagging, moving and organizing). This workflow ensures that music that music added to my collection is prober and consistent.

But I want to make and update playlistes based on all of my music/the entire collection and not just what's getting added. How is a prober workflow for this?

I've been looking into the database functionality of Yate, but not sure if thats the way to solve this? Actions and batch processing??

TIA/Lappen

2MR2PostDecember 29, 2015, 07:51
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Handling large collections?

There are lots of ways to go.

Batch Processing using the 'Create m3u' statement won't help you unless you want to produce playlists which represent the contents of a single folder. You can of course implement whatever methodology you wish and roll your own.

I have a personal collection of about 45k tracks which live on a NAS drive. If you are an iTunes user you can set Yate's Open Mode to 'Playlist' and drag individual tracks from iTunes into Yate. When the playlist is 'done' you can create an m3u file via the UI.

Personally I don't use that method. Here's what I do. 🙂 I maintain a Track database which contains every track in my collection. The only required field is the 'path' but you can include whatever metadata makes it convenient for your purposes. Certainly you would want the standard metadata such as Artist, Album, Title, Rating, etc. I also strongly recommend the generation and use of a Yate Track ID. A track ID is merely a unique identifier which ensures that you can find entries if you rename or move a track. I have Track and Album IDs in every audio file....as I maintain Album and Track databases.

Creating the Track Database is a one line action which you run through the Batch Processor. I maintain my databases as part of my standard workflow such that they get updated whenever I add a new album...which is often. If I later decide to rename or move tracks, I simply do a database update from the UI.

Okay...back to playlists. I view/filter/sort/preview in the track database. From the database viewer I successively open tracks in Yate's main window where they're accumulated, as I'm in Playlist mode. I can then drag and drop the tracks or randomize the sort order. When I'm done, I issue an Actions>Create m3u File. If you want the playlist in iTunes, (and you keep your iTunes library up to date), link the files and do an Actions>Create iTunes Playlist.

I'm a Sonos user and my NAS drive has hundreds of playlists I've created in this manner. The only issue I found, is that Sonos cannot handle m3u8 files which are automatically generated by Yate's m3u functionality when required. Simply renaming the file does not work as they do not process the UTF8 characters correctly. v3.10 will be released the first week in January and along with it is a sample action to identify tracks which cannot be placed into an m3u file. I've added this action to my workflow to identify tracks which will cause the generation of m3u8 files. Once identified, if I'm determined to have the track(s) in the playlist, I rename then to contain only ASCII characters in the filename. My workflow even tells Sonos to update its libraries.

I hope this helps.

LappenPostDecember 29, 2015, 09:45
Beginner

Hi again,

Thx for quick reply. I'll look into Track database functionality, but how do I get Track and Album ID in every audio file???

Tia/Lappen

2MR2PostDecember 29, 2015, 12:44
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

You can do it at the same time you generate the database. See the attached image. The first two statements are Database ID statements. Make sure you change the Export Set name in the Create statement to reflect your Export set.

Run the Batch Processor, select a similar action and run your entire collection through it. Make sure you select the Batch Processor Auto-Save option when it is displayed.

I'd send you the action, but the Mac available to me now is running v3.10 which is not downward compatible with v3.9.1.1

v3.10 will ship right after the New Year 😀

LappenPostDecember 29, 2015, 13:17
Beginner

Hi,
Thanks for this. I'll make the action and set the IDs by batch.

/Lappen

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.012 seconds.