Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Applying tags from a CSV file.
kennyb123PostJanuary 17, 2016, 21:47
January 18, 2016, 02:32
Normal topicApplying tags from a CSV file.

I have a sizable collection of AIFF files that were recorded from vinyl. These have not been tagged in any way.

I have a spreadsheet that provides the details for each file (album, artist, etc). I'm trying to come up with a way to systematically way tag the files using this spreadsheet (or from a CSV exported from it). Can anyone suggest a way to do this using Yate?

2MR2PostJanuary 17, 2016, 22:57
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Applying tags from a CSV file.

If there is a column in the spreadsheet which contains a path to the file, this is really easy. You will have to export the spreadsheet as a CSV file (with column headers).

Basically you define an Export set which associates the columns in the CSV file with Yate fields. You export the Export set as a sidecar with the same name as the CSV file. Hmm...export the Export set. You then drag the CSV file onto the Apply Track Database Metadata Changes wizard and you're done.

If the file path has to be synthesized a little additional work will have to be done.

If you wish you can email the CSV file to support@2manyrobots.com and I'll make sure everything is copacetic and give you more detailed instructions.

There are a few independent labels out there who keep their entire catalog in a spreadsheet and use a similar technique to update their tracks.

kennyb123PostJanuary 18, 2016, 17:17

Thanks for the very quick response! I'm glad to hear that this can be done. I will first copy some of the files to a test directory, and then update the CSV to include the full path to those files. I will then email it over to you.

kennyb123PostJanuary 22, 2016, 00:45

I keep getting the error message "The plist file is not a Yate Track Database". The plist was a file created by Yate.

What I did was first export a CSV file containing about 10 tracks. Then I edited the CSV file just to add Artist (Miles Davis) and saved it. Then I dragged the CSV file onto the Apply Track Database Metadata Changes wizard.

2MR2PostJanuary 22, 2016, 08:15
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

Yate does a lot of things with CSV/TSV files. It can create, update, bi-directionally apply updates, etc. When Yate provides functionality other than simply viewing the database a sidecar .plist file is required which contains the column->field associations.

There are two ways to create a sidecar file which will cause the associated CSV file to treated as a Track Database. The first is to create the files via a Create Track Database action statement. This requires that the File Path column is included in the specified Export Set.

As you already have your CSV file which was created externally, you will have to manually create the sidecar file.

You do this in Preferences-Export sets. You must create an export set which provides a one to one mapping between the columns you want to process/import. Any column to be ignored can have an OOB type. In order for the import to work you must have the same number of columns with the same header names in both the export set and the CSV file. Further, if you do not have one column mapped to be a File Path, Yate will not treat the file as a Track Database. Once you have created the export set, select it in the left panel and click on the Export icon (rightmost small icon at the bottom of the panel). Select Export Sidecar File on the menu which is displayed. Make sure the filename you provide is the same as your CSV file. The sidecar file must be in the same folder as the CSV file. Unless you are going to change the column layout, you only have to do this once.

You can visually verify the results. Open the CSV file in Yate, via File Open or by dragging it to the main window's file list area. In the Database Viewer, right click on any row. The last item in the menu tells you what type of database Yate "think's it is". If it says "This is a Track Database..." everything was correctly mapped.

If you need any help, email me a CSV file. I'll create the Export set and you can look at it in preferences. It's a lot of fiddling around 🙂 but as I said you only have to do it once.

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.022 seconds.