Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Organizing files into folders based on metadata?
F.VoidPostJanuary 28, 2016, 16:34
January 28, 2016, 21:23
Normal topicOrganizing files into folders based on metadata?

Hi, everyone!

I recently experienced some problems with my external HDD, which resulted in my whole ~550 gb music collection being lost. Fortunately, I was able to retrieve it in its entirety by handling the whole thing delicately and using the right disk recovery program. The problem now is that recovery gave me back all my 30 000+ tracks in one single folder - but the file names and metadata are at least intact. iTunes does not seem to be able to find them by itself when I try, so I guess I have to get them back in the same folder structure for that to work. I had the files sorted as follows: Artist/Album/Songs. So, the question is, how do I preform this action in Yate? The only thing I want done is for the app to organize my files into a folder structure (same as before) based on the metadata.

I've looked around but haven't been able to find an answer. I apologize in advance if this information is available somewhere but has been overlooked by me.

2MR2PostJanuary 28, 2016, 17:54
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Organizing files into folders based on metadata?

I'm working on the assumption that your files contained metadata before the crash.... ie. if you open a few tracks in Yate, you can see Album, Artist and Title tags. If you do not have any metadata, ignore the following and we'll have to explore different avenues.

I've uploaded a file to:

http://2manyrobots.com/actions/ReorganizeSIngleFolder.zip

Unzip the file and via Yate>Import Preferences import the unzipped plist file.

You will now have an action named: Reorganize Single Folder

and two rename templates named: Variable1 and Title or Filename

Here's how to run:

- From the Actions menu choose Batch Processor Wizard...
- On the first panel select the 'Reorganize Single Folder' action
- On the next panel drag over your folder containing all the tracks
- On the next folder you should not select Auto-Save and you should select Verbose
- hit start
- you will be promoted for a destination folder. This is where the 'artist' folders will be placed.

Try it first on a dummy folder with a few tracks.

When you do the complete run, there will be little or no feedback as the Batch Processor only updates its display counters at the completion of a folder. As you only have one folder, pretty much nothing will be displayed. When the process finishes, View and then save the log file.

Here's what it does for every track:

- it generates a UUID
- it move the track to dest/Artist/Album/UUID.
- if Artist is empty, it uses Unknown Artist
- if Album is empty, it uses Unknown Album
- because a UUID is used, there can be no naming conflicts
- it then renames the moved tracks to the Title field with possible 'duplicate numbers' appended. If Title is empty is empty, the 'original filename' is used.

One more thing to consider. Do you want to use the Album Artist if it is present? This might keep compilations together under a single Various folder. I don't know how you organize your compilations. If you want to do so, you can use Album Artist or Artist if Album Artist is empty. A single edit will have to be made. In the action on the Move statement, change Artist to Album Artist. (Album Artist on the Move statement falls back to Artist, if empty).

F.VoidPostFebruary 1, 2016, 06:56
January 28, 2016, 21:23
Normal topicRe: Organizing files into folders based on metadata?

Quote from 2MR2 on January 28, 2016, 17:54
I'm working on the assumption that your files contained metadata before the crash.... ie. if you open a few tracks in Yate, you can see Album, Artist and Title tags. If you do not have any metadata, ignore the following and we'll have to explore different avenues.

I've uploaded a file...

Yes, as I stated in my first post, the metadata is fortunately intact! I can't thank you enough for this, it worked like a charm. Tested it out on a few files first, then let it run the entire archive, and now everything is back to the way it was - or at least, not quite as messy. Thank you!

all2ofmePostDecember 19, 2020, 22:53
December 20, 2020, 03:33

I'm only just at the early stages of getting my head around Yate, so please go easy on me!

I'm after a very similar reorganization based on metadata, but with the following structure:

LOSSLESS/AlbumArtist/Albumname/D-TT Title.flac

...where:
D=Disc number (no leading 0)
TT=Track number (with a leading 0)
Title=Track title

Example:
LOSSLESS/Various Artists/The Very Best of Éthiopiques/2-09 Kulun Mankwalèsh.flac

No requirement for "Artist" — happy to get that from the metadata in the file when it's all in Roon.

Could I be incredibly cheeky and ask for some help in getting that up and running? Yate seems perfect, other than the Help pages have boggled my tiny mind in a way that the dBPoweramp ones didn't. I *love* that it feels like a Mac app 😀

(Related question — any reason to worry about pointing Yate at a 1TB folder of FLACs and asking it to strip them all of Genre metadata in one go?)

2MR2PostDecember 20, 2020, 09:14
Administrator

No problem.

The organizing can be handled by a simple move ... basically a one line action.

As to the second I would never attempt to load 1TB of files into Yate. The issue is not really a Yate issue as it is a Mac issue. To load 1TB of files all the metadata (including artwork) has to be kept in memory and that can kill a Mac. I'd recommend doing it in the Batch Processor. Is the 1TB of FLAC files in a single folder or are they in subfolders with the same root folder? This only affects how the action will be written to avoid loading the entire 1TB at once.

Both requests can be performed in a single action run through the Batch Processor. Let me know about the file layout and I'll email you the action(s).

all2ofmePostDecember 20, 2020, 11:03
December 20, 2020, 03:33

Amazing 🙂

The 1TB of FLAC files is in subfolders with the same root folder:

LOSSLESS/AlbumArtist/Album/file.FLAC

It would be easy enough for me to manually chunk them up into more reasonably-sized folders (10GB? 50GB?)

In fact, maybe it’s worth mentioning now that I want to be able to perform both of these actions (the rename and move based on metadata, as well as the genre removal) on FLACs and MP3s.

They are kept separately as follows:
LOSSLESS/
LOSSY/

Happy to do some manual moving/chunking here too, if that’s better.

Thanks so much for the help!

2MR2PostDecember 20, 2020, 12:02
Administrator

No need to do any moving around. However, I want to be careful 🙂

Download the action at:
https://2manyrobots.com/actions/ProduceAudioFolderContentsListing.zip

Drag the zip file to Yate's main window's file list area. You'll now have an action named 'Produce an Audio Folder Contents Listing'.

From the Actions menu select User Defined>Produce an Audio Folder Contents Listing

Select the root of one the source folders. When a panel is displayed with the results hit the Copy button and paste it into a text file or email.

Repeat for the alternate source folder. Email me the results at support@2manyrobots.com and I'll know the layout without having to ask too many more questions 🙂

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.023 seconds.