Welcome Guest

Pages: 1
Problem with JRiver ratings
FredPostApril 25, 2016, 01:24
March 18, 2016, 21:34
Normal topicProblem with JRiver ratings

Hi,

meanwhile i tagged (and beautified) a great lot of files and am happy with what i can do with Yate.

Unfortunately i recognized too late that i have destroyed thousands of my ratings that i have done with JRiver Mediacenter. Fortunately i have backups of the files and i can reconstruct the ratings somehow.

Here is the problem why the ratings are lost:

Ratings in JRiver Mediacenter

Ratings in Metadatics

Ratings in Yate

As you can see, JRiver translates the stars in increments of 2 and writes them to the file tag named RATING. You can see that in the Metadatics picture.

0 stars = 0
1 star = 2
2 stars = 4
3 stars = 6
4 stars = 8
5 stars = 10

However Yate doesn't read the RATING tag correctly (see the Yate picture) and consequently the rating is set to none (or 0) when the file is written back. So the rating is gone forever.

I suppose JRiver writes the ratings in a non-standard way so that Yate can't interpret them as usual but i hope you can fix this somehow.

Best regards, Fred

2MR2PostApril 25, 2016, 05:43
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27
Normal topicRe: Problem with JRiver ratings

The issue is that there is no 'standard' way. Yate can interpret them however you want and can translate them from one system to another via the Translate Rating action statement. Depending on what your settings are it is possible that the ratings are being displayed incorrectly and that nothing is lost.

Yate supports three modes for ratings:

Direct: 0-5)
iTunes: (0-100)
Full: (0-255)

The assignment of stars in Full is programmable and can be interpreted any way you wish (across all file types).

Additionally, RATING in FLAC files can be disconnected so that Yate will not display the rating in the star display but it will still be viewable/editable as a UDTI.

How you go forward largely depends on which player you are going to be using. For example if you use Audirvana, the FLAC rating has to be Direct.

If you have FLAC set to Full, no metadata should have been lost as Yate will merely interpret them incorrectly. If you had FLAC set to Direct, metadata will have been lost when files were saved as the ratings will have been coerced into the specified format.

So....the bottom line is we need some questions answered. In which application will you be playing the tracks? Do you want to translate the ratings from the 0,2,4,6,8,10 values to those used by another application? Do you want to leave them "as is" and disable Yate modification of the values (and edit them as UDTIs)? The issue is further complicated in that Yate only supports one full mapping at a time. Do you have other audio file types as well as FLAC? What are your current FLAC/Full settings in preferences, (if Full nothing should have been lost)?

Please get us the answers and we can advise how to translate or disable the ratings.

FredPostApril 25, 2016, 06:38

Thanks for the quick answer!

My only player is JRiver Mediacenter 21 for Mac (can be downloaded for a 1 month test period here: http://files.JRiver.com/mediacenter/channels/v21/latest/MediaCenter210066.dmg).

I don't use Flac but ALAC and ACC (m4a) and sometimes MP3.
It would be sufficient for me, if Yate would leave the ratings alone, i.e not reading or writing.
There is no need to convert for other applications.

I tried configuring Full Rating Mapping with

0* - 1 = 0
2* - 3 = 1
4* - 5 = 2
6* - 7 = 3
8* - 9 = 4
10* - 255 = 5

and

0*= 0
2*= 1
4*= 2
6*= 3
8*= 4
10*= 5

but both aren't working (not reading JRiver ratings).

Thanks for your help and
best regards, Fred

2MR2PostApril 25, 2016, 08:07
Administrator
August 23, 2012, 19:27

I'll get you a 'dirty' patch to disable read/write of ratings in MPEG-4 files (m4a, m4b, mp4, m4v). ID3 (mp3) can be handled by the proper definition of the Full settings. FLAC can be handled by removing the Rating mapping.

I'll take a look at MC to see if I can establish a set of preset values for whatever they're doing. I've never heard of any application using anything but the standard iTunes values for MPEG-4 files 🙁

I'll send you a link later today.

FredPostApril 25, 2016, 08:38

Great, thanks!

Pages: 1
Mingle Forum by Cartpauj | Version: 1.1.0beta | Page loaded in: 0.032 seconds.